1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bandlover4, Oct 5, 2014.

1. bandlover4

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi, I recently turned thirteen and have known that I'm lesbian since I was eleven. My mom and entire family is very open, supportive, and accepting and I don't like to keep things from them. Recently, I came out to a close friend who suggested that I tell my mom. I really want to but lately I've been seeing all these things that say I'm too young to know or be taken seriously, so I'm not sure what to do. Some advice would be great. Thanks!

2. person57

Hi there. Welcome to EC!! That's great that your family is accepting and supportive. That shows that your family will most likely have a good reaction. I understand what you mean when you say you don't like keeping secrets from them. It would be a great idea to come out to them, but you really don't have to do it now. You can come out whenever you feel like it. Remember to come out when you feel completely ready. You don't want to force yourself and not feel ready. Good luck!! We're always here to support you!! I'm sure you'll love it here :slight_smile:

3. onlinedreamer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi! I think it's great that your family is supportive! It makes it more likely that they will accept you as you are. My advice is go sit down with them, one on one is better or write in a letter what you want to say. And make sure you discuss every problem they might have with this so they feel at ease and don't have to worry or wonder. It's also important to give them some time to think after you told them, because it's big news and they have to process it. The most important thing is that you must be prepared, plan what you're gonna say and be prepared for any questions.

Well good luck and enjoy it here on EC, we're here for you!

4. SeriousJack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey there, welcome to EC! Unfortunately, it is true, because of your age some people will assume you went crazy, or that it's just a phase, although it sounds like you are completely sure of your sexuality which, again, isn't very common in your age, so congratulations! There is certainly no right age to come out, and if you feel ready to do it now, you should. Just be ready for some not so understanding reactions. Even though your parents are very supportive it is possible that they will assume it's just a phase, so be ready to make them understand you are sure of who you are, regardless of your age.

5. Xyaz

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't think you can be too young to be taken seriously if you come out. It's great that your parents are accepting and supportive, so I think that they will most likely take you seriously when/if you come out to them. Congratulations on coming out to your freind, and if they don't take you seriously or are not supportive, which I hope does not happen, you will have somebody that can support you :slight_smile: