1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Timing

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jokes on you, Sep 23, 2008.

1. jokes on you

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I waited to long to coem out to my parents and they caught me in my room with my door shut and light off(against rules) with my girl friend. She had her head on my lap and we were talking but they blew it way out of porportion. Now we had a talk and they expect me to come out to them soon but im not sure how and right now with school is the worst possible week to do it. They wont bring it up just sit around and wait for me to say something even though me and my parents dont have anything close to that kind of relationship. i think i should do it on a weeknd when theyre both home and have like some sort of outline for what i want to say but im not really sure. Any ideas?

2. ausdtc

I'm sorry that you've found yourself in this situation, I can only imagine how awkward that must have been for both of you (and your parents!).

I'd say that it's likely your parents have a fairly good idea already, and coming out to them won't be completely unexpected. I'd find a time where you're feeling comfortable and your parents seem to be in a receptive mood and just sit down with them and talk about how you feel, and be honest with them!

3. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

Ah, that's really awkward that your parents walked in on you guys (even tho you were just talking). I don't exactly know what you mean by your parents except you to come out to them soon. Like, if they except you to come out, then that means they know (or think) that you're gay. And if they already know that, what's the point of having a huge conversation about it.

But as far as what you should say to them, be honest. I definitely don't have the kind of relationship with my mom that I tell her everything, but I try to tell her as much of the truth as possible, because lying always comes back to bite you in the butt, or it just makes you have to remember your lie in order to not contradict yourself.

As uncomfortable as this probably will be I vote you be honest and say somthing along the lines of....I'm a lesbian, and (insert name here) is my girlfriend. I care a lot about her and I would appreciate your support.

Keep us updated on how this goes.

4. jokes on you

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I told them yesterday whenever my dad got home.... my mom doesnt believe me and told me it was a choice that I was making but I told her it was more of a thought process my dad believes me and pretty much accepts it and so now Im hoping things will gt better but my mom wants to talk about it again at some point so idk if she'll ever actually believe me

5. Loveless

Loveless Guest

Well congrats on coming out, hope things go well.

6. coreyjazz23

I also hope that it works out...continue to update us...if you want.