1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't Mean to Rush Things, but...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jguy365, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Jguy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's becoming apparent to me that word is spreading around at my former high school that I am gay and also have a boyfriend. I shouldn't care too much considering the fact that I am graduated and don't have to return there ever again, but I am afraid that the word will spread to my parents. This is highly unlikely but still a possibility. I want to be the one to tell them. I have only been out to myself for 3 months which is not very long at all. Ideally, I would give this more time, but I want to tell my parents before someone else does. I'm considering coming out on National Coming out Day which is this Saturday.
    Thoughts?

2. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That has always been one of my biggest fears as well and is the main reason I won't try to find a boyfriend without coming out to my parents -- I'd feel so unbelievably bad if they found out from someone else. I know they'd be disappointed regardless, but I think it's easier to come to terms with your child being gay than it is to know you trusted the entire world with something but not them. Everyone's different though -- if you don't have a strong relationship with your parents it might not be so important to you.

With that said, it's awesome that you have a boyfriend and I hope having his support will help you find the confidence to come out to your parents. Hopefully they react with love and understanding, but no matter what I think you'll feel better to finally have it over with.

Good luck!

3. Jguy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They definitely aren't the type to react in vain and be violent or kick me out, but it could make for a hostile and awkward environment for a while, more so around my father. My mom will have a much easier time accepting it than my dad.

4. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you think your mom would be ok with it, what about telling your mom first? If she's on your side, that might make it easier telling your dad.