1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someone being suicidal because of the fact that you're gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Driftr, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Driftr

I'm only asking this as a hypothetical question. I have read one story on here where someone who came out to their parents had to deal with one that was suicidal all because of it. It had me wondering what if hypothetically that could happen to me?

As much as I think I'm sure that my family is mentally stable and I have nothing to worry about, anything can happen. The idea that I'm "hell-bound" might just send someone I know over the edge like it did to that guy's dad and impair their thinking, even if they know that suicide is morally wrong in Christianity. They may just forget that.

If someone I know ever went crazy or suicidal because of the fact that I'm gay, how would I ever deal with the guilt? I know it sounds unlikely, but I don't know how people will cope if they believe that I'm hell-bound. I will try to explain to them that they're taking the bible out of context if they believe that being gay is a sin, but they might not have enough patience to hear that or take that seriously

I already chosen not to come out to my family because of this but I believe they're going to figure out anyway. I'm 21 & I still haven't brought a girlfriend home. Also I was questioned by someone who goes to my mom's church just because he saw me in the gay district and I stopped going to church ever since. So it's only a matter of time.

After coming out, Does anyone in your family still believe you're going to hell? How do they deal with it?

2. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can only live your own life TRUTHFULLY. You can't live someone else's.
    Learn to love yourself and to be yourself.
    Religion is (generally) a terrible thing with any idea of critical thinking alien to some followers.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If somebody says they're suicidal due to the choices you make, one of two things is going on. Either they're being extremely manipulative in order to try to get you to alter your path, or they've built up their mental state on How Things Work on an exceptionally shaky foundation. And as much as they might think it's Scenario Two, my money is usually on the former.

Lex

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And that's exactly where I'd put my money. It's got all the hallmarks of manipulation.