1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Iamwhoiam98, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Iamwhoiam98

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My parents are Christians and are clearly homophobic. I was considering coming out to them but after my mothers reaction to Tom Daley I've been afraid... Any advice ? (Bisexual):help:

2. That's a difficult situation you're in. The thing to remember is that pretty much ALL parents come around in time. It's taken my parents a year, and they're getting more and more comfortable. I thought I would *never* come out to them, and they would never accept it in the way they have. I'm actually pretty proud of them.

It seems, no matter what their background/religion etc, parents opinions/ideas/prejudices get shattered when one of their own children comes out. Their immediate reaction is often very different from the reaction a week, a month, a year - and then 2 years later. The cliché is pretty much always true; It gets better, you get better and your parents will get better.

Coming out actually changes peoples minds.

Good luck!

#2 uniqueusername3, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2014
  3. Iamwhoiam98

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The difficulty I have is I've never done inter course so they would have that argument

4. Iamwhoiam98

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They would be all like "oh you haven't done anything so you can't be bi." I love my mum I really do but I don't know if she will love me after I tell her.

#4 Iamwhoiam98, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  5. clovis

I know how you feel. well sort of... I came out to my wife a week ago, she is religious, and thinks that I can get 'fixed'. Its very hard. I wish you all the luck in the world.

6. black-cat

I'm going to be honest here. Your mum may be angry at you, may even says that she hates you (which I doubt) but she will ALWAYS love you. No matter what. That won't change, she just may have bad feelings about your "choices".

I'll reccomend that you come out to the parent that you think will take it best, or a sibling, cousin, aunt, uncle etc that will be supportive and help you to do it.

No, you haven't had sex, but that doesn't mean you aren't gay/bi. If they do come out with that - does that mean you have to have sex with a boy and a girl to know if you are straight? How about having sex with a brunette and a blonde and a redhead to know if you prefer blondes? The same goes for everything, from gender, to hair color to race, you don't have to try every product on the market to know which best suits you.

Good luck, I really hope it goes well, I'm happy to help you and support you in any way I can, like a lot of people on here! *hugs*

7. Iamwhoiam98

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

I get what you mean but it's just my ex said that I ain't bi if I haven't done it

---------- Post added 7th Oct 2014 at 03:21 PM ----------

Also I can't just have sex with someone out of the blue?

8. black-cat

Well, your ex doesn't seem to agree with many people in the LGBT community. Perhaps he/she was jealous, giving a reason to their sexual history or trying to make you confused, but there are many many threads on here where pretty much everyone says the same thing as I do.

9. Iamwhoiam98

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well she lives 3000 miles away and tells me she's done 69 quite a few times and I've only kissed so

10. Leader233

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Remind them that you will always be there son and if they get biblical on you remind them that God loves the sinner but hates the sin, so they can still love you.

11. Iamwhoiam98

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm so gonna quote you to my mum btw haha