1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you all think of this?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CrazyAwkward, Oct 7, 2014.

1. CrazyAwkward

First of all, I probably won't send this for a long time. I think. But I'd like to know what you all think of it. Hearing your opinions might make it easier for me to decide what to do. This is an email to my grandma.

Hi ____,(nickname withheld for reasons)

I'm not really sure how to start this. I've tried it a dozen different ways only to delete everything and debate if I should even do this at all, because I'm afraid it might upset or disappoint you. And that's the last thing I want to do, ever.
    But, the thing is, I'm gay. I tried not to be for a long time. I tried to ignore it and be "normal", but life doesn't work like that. We are who we are, and this is part of who I am. Maybe you already guessed all of this. I used to think everyone knew. I was kind of paranoid back then. Everyone knows now, and it feels wrong hiding it from you. Hiding feels too much like lying, and I don't like lying to the people I love. And I love you more than I love most people.
    Whether you did already know or guess or you're just finding out now, I hope you can understand, and I hope you aren't upset. I'm still the same me you've always known. Now you just know a little bit more about me.

Love you always,
    _____

2. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If I were your grandma, I'd run to bake your favourite cookies... And then give you a big hug and a million kisses.

The thing is I'm not your grandma. I have no idea what does she think about homosexuality. I don't even know what my own grandmother thinks about it. All I can tell you is that if my grandchild wrote those words to me, she'd have melt my heart :icon_wink

You implied that the trust comes from your own love... If that doesn't melt your heart, you must have a heart of stone!!

It's a lovely letter, you are being honest and expressing feelings of love that (I'm sure) will reach her...

Give it to her... When you feel ready (*hug*)

3. ChameleonSoul

That was... beautiful. Now, I don't know how your grandmother feels about homosexuality, but it'd be pretty hard for her not to love you even more after reading that letter. Go ahead and give it to her whenever you're ready. I'm sure she'll love you no matter what!

4. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this is great. I like how you said it without any ambiguity too. That helps a lot because then people don't question what you say as much. It's very well written. :slight_smile:

5. CrazyAwkward

Thank you for your comments :slight_smile:

My grandma is very catholic and in her 80's. Taking both of those things into account, she is surprisingly tolerant of gay people. But she's also said some less than supportive things too. I'd like to say she's more tolerant than intolerant, but it's hard to tell if that's just wishful thinking on my part. That's why I didn't come out to her when I came out to the rest of my family years ago. But I think I'm almost ready now. Thank you for your encouragement. It's more helpful than you know :slight_smile:

6. Ophelia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That was seriously amazing. I don't think there's any way she could not love you even more after reading that.

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your Grandma is a devout Catholic she will be aware that Pope Francis recently said "Who am I to judge gay people?".

I thought the letter was very good too.

8. Blossom85

That was just very lovely I thought, I hope it all goes well.

9. CrazyAwkward

Thank you :slight_smile:

Yeah, I'm hoping that will help a little. And thank you :slight_smile: