1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Innocent question-Bi Girls vs. Lesbians

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nara563, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Nara563

Out Status:
    A few people
    Ok, I am still way in the closet…if anyone knows, they know I am bi-ish and poly, and married to a man.
    Someone told me a long time ago that Lesbians don't like Bisexual women…principle of the thing? I don't have a clue…Because I'm mostly in the closet I REALLY have no clue…

So if I join some Lesbian get together group, just to find WOMEN friends who understand liking other women, are the "Real Lesbians" going to run me out of the room on a rail if I say I'm "bi" or married to a man?"….

Cause I found some groups and I really kinda want to go make friends!

2. DarkestDream

Here's something that helps me a LOT. If I'm not sure of what/who is accepted in a gathering, I call first, an ask questions. Then I know what to expect, so I know if it's worth attending. After all, you have to feel comfortable! :slight_smile:

3. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Well.. if they are worth being friends with they should be more understanding and accepting of you then just running you out of the room just because you say you're bi and married to a man! Alot of women like other women who are married to men and hate that they don't get to express that side of themselves! A support group is suppose to be a support group!

I say go check it out and if they turn out to be total tools then fuck them all. Good Luck!

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

We don't hate bisexuals, although I know myself and many other lesbians would never date one that's already involved with a man. If you're just looking for friends, that's fine

5. Nara563

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks everyone.
    I understand Fallingdown7…I really REALLY want/need friends who understand liking women-that's most of it…but you know…if something presented itself… :wink:
    But yeah, I also realize that even in the Lesbian or Bisexual world "Polyamory" may still be about as foreign and odd as it is in the straight world. Most people think I'm nuts. I just have never had limits on who or how many people I can love :slight_smile:

6. Nara563

Out Status:
    A few people
    Fallingdown7, I was thinking about what you said…
    Would most lesbians not want to date me because I'm in a relationship (polyamorous) or because I'm in a relationship with a guy (makes me bisexual not lesbian)…?
    I can understand either POV, I'm just curious which…or maybe it's both.

7. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I can't speak for everyone...polyamory can happen in all sexualities, though most lesbians I know would not want to share with a guy. It doesn't really have to do with refusing bisexuality in general (since a lot of bisexuals can be monogamous), but more so that a lot of lesbians, in my experience, think men are bigger competition than women and they set off the jealousy radar more than other women do. Kind of like how a lot of straight men are okay with their girlfriends dating and having sex with other women, but for some reason they draw the line at them being with other men or having threesomes involving men (which I sometimes find to be a ridiculous double standard really).
    if you're talking about me personally, I would only refuse the situation because I'm monogamous, not because the other person is bisexual.

I mean I'm not saying that you won't find a lesbian that's okay with it, just in my experience that It's very very rare, so you have to be honest and upfront with them knowing this. I honestly find that bisexual women are more open-minded in this situation.

There is nothing wrong with polyamory though, just that a lot of people unfortunately don't seem to get it, and especially not when it involves separate genders sadly.

#7 Fallingdown7, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2014
  8. Blossom85

A lot of people don't understand bisexuality and polyamory and can't wrap their head around it, straight and gay people alike.. A lot of misconceptions with bisexuality is when a lesbian is with a bisexual woman, They think their partner might leave them for a man at a later time, so it's fear of the unknown.. A lot of people think that bisexual people can't be monogamous and that is I think a lot of where the fear steams from.. Polyamory has nothing to do with sexuality as it can be something straight, and gay people wanna get involved with..

However from my point of view.. As a single bi/pan woman.. Whomever I want to enter into a romantic and sexual relationship with also needs to be single. I myself don't want to get involved with someone who already is in a relationship or a marriage even if their other half has approved.. Mainly cause I don't want to be the second priority and I don't want things to get messy and complicated if it gets more serious, I could never expect to have someone pick me over their husband/wife and that would mean me getting hurt, so I don't been go there with a woman or a man already in a committed relationship.

If you are just looking for someone to talk to and be friends with, I don't see how a lesbian would be worried about that. The only time I would think it would be an issue is if you were looking at developing a romantic relationship with a lesbian when you were already married. I know a lot of single women on another site I am on which sadly I can't mention the name of who have been there and been hurt when their partner choice their husband over them.. I also have had a couple of women choice their girlfriend over their husband and it has led to a lot of hurt between the husband and wife and a messy divorce and breakup.. So I think a lot of single woman wether they are lesbians or bi like myself, Just don't wanna get involved romantically with someone who is married.

As long as you are only looking to make friends and nothing else, then I don't see the issue really if the women are nice and kind.

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm ok with friendship and I wouldn't hate on a bisexual woman or say mean things because she's with a man . I just wouldn't date one that was with a man , I'm monogamous and I don't share lovers and I'm a selfish person .
    But We can be friends(!)

10. Nara563

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks Fallingdown7, Blossom85 and stocking. The more I talk with others the more clarity I get. And yes, the polyamory thing is a bit of a handicap. Yes, I live with a man I love, so no it pretty much means I'm not looking for another living situation, but I can love lots of people, and have sex with..well, more than one, but I guess I am hoping that I will find someone that can be: A: a friend, B: a lover, but also C: not want to be all jealous and territorial…I have been that and it just ate me up…so I am polyamorous because it releases the need to be "the only"….and it releases a lot of emotional…over-attachment…but it is really hard to find ANYONE who can wrap their head around it…
    Who knows what will be in the future…sometimes I DO wish I was single-life would be SO much easier! But now that my head lives in Poly-land it's kind of hard for me to imagine ever being otherwise again…and yes that means I have to be super honest with people-I always am…
    I mean, shoot, FWB would be lovely…but I'll take friends-I SO want friends…
    I did find a "Poly" meeting that is LGBT friendly so….
    Thanks again everyone…it really helps me to understand others and myself. :slight_smile: