1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conflicted (scared) to join my school's GSA

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bigcityboy, Oct 7, 2014.

1. bigcityboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey everyone,
    I came out to two of my best friends (one guy, one girl) and one of my older brothers at the end of June, but so far I haven't told anyone else. I've been building up the courage to come out to my oldest brother (who I know will definitely be cool with it), and I think I'll finally call him on Saturday, which is also National Coming Out Day, if I'm not mistaken. I also have this other pretty close friend who wants to get to know me better by knowing more about my personal life (by the way if anyone thinks this, it is not with romantic intentions that he's asking so many questions, I'm just the only one in our friend group who hasn't told him their crush, so he feels like I'm distant). I don't normally like talking about personal things like who I like because then I'd have to lie and talk about a girl. My friend can be a bit bigoted/transphobic when it comes to topics like transgenders and drag queens, but he says he's fine with gay marriage and gay people. While my other friends and I have argued with him countless times trying to change his thoughts about the former topics, at least I think he'll be fine with me being gay. I'm thinking of telling him Friday or Saturday, but I'm a bit reluctant to do so.

Anyways, back to the subject mentioned in the title of this message: I'm kind of scared to join my school's GSA club. I want to be out, I want to join! But I don't want so many people to know about me at once, I don't think I'm ready to be widely known in school as gay. I've only told three people for crying out loud... I'm afraid of how people, including some of my other friends (specifically guy friends) might treat me differently because I like dudes. The interest meeting's tomorrow which I'm probably not going to. However, there's this one guy who's out in my grade (11) who's in it. I was wondering if I should PM him and ask him about what it's like being open in our school and in the GSA, but again, I'm scared of other people, even him, finding out.

By the way, I live in a very liberal city, and I go to a great, smart school where the people are generally accepting and tolerant (plus we have so much work, everyone's too busy to be outright anti-gay anyway).

I'd love to hear any advice or suggestions you guys might have for me.

2. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

It's weird because the dude I like (yes, he's in h s ) was telling me the other day that kids are asking each other about their crushes , even man / woman crushes for same sex people. It made him feel super self conscious because he can't be honest , like at all. I was just in h s last year and I don't remember convos like that but I was super busy and maybe who I hung around , i d f k.
    Anyway, sry I got to pondering . So my basic philosophy regrading h s is: if you don't want kids to know stuff; tell no one. Guaranteed, if you P M that dude he'll tell someone . As far as the club goes, I looked it up btw, defo morning announcement / assembly type setup for you and your heretofore previous anonymity so, your choice breh . Even NYC isn't THAT easy to deal with in H S.
    I say just be prepared for fall out and do what you feel cool with doing . No one else here is in your school with you.

3. gamercody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you'll be fine. Not saying this applies everywhere but your generation Is more open than one would think.

92-99 is the "oh.. Ok We accept you hate bi guys generation"
    2000+ "Cool" Which is now 2014...
    Where it's more the "Who cares?"

I can see it being a problem, in the case of your friend I'd like to point out we have it on both sides of the aisle.

I don't like Drag Queens, I do however not mind transgenders as long as they don't hit on me, which most cases they do not, and the issue for me is more calling them by their name they want. Example I have a friend named Angelina, which she now identifies as male and is going through the hormones and hell to be "Angel" instead. I do slip up but I accept him for that as best to my abilities.

I struggle more with Dragshows/queens because I think it's just not right. I wouldn't find it acceptable for a straight girl or straight guy to dress up either in that way. I think girls can wear jeans, guys can't wear dresses mentality.

Just don't do it, why advertise it? I grew up in the Midwest, still live in Midwest... However, South Dakota is one of the worst states to be gay in and that was during my middle/high school years...

It's ok to be you, be proud of you, but is that type of culture or society ready? In most states I'd make the argument yes, it doesn't matter. Other states such as SD,NE, even in IA I'd say no.

NY, is very welcoming I have friends in NY, and they even have high schools catered to LGBT individuals.

As for your friends/being out to everyone... Most of the time they know, as far as pming the person for the GSA it is infact a Gay Straight alliance... So you could be all I support equality, many individuals tend to do that first.... I think it just depends but you won't know until you try.

#3 gamercody, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  4. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

@gamercody are you in h s? Just curious
    Lemme qualify that : I ask because I grew up for awhile in NYC . I mean not in h s when I lived there but it's pretty much like any other place . They're dicks everywhere and last I remember , h s thrives on drama. My ex g f sure the fuck did. I went to h s in a super conservative state and go to college in one now as well. Pretty much , there's no way anyone I know here or knew in h s that I hung around with who would be cool with someone being gay around them, Or bi. NOw I'm willing to admit that maybe my experience is limited but the dude I do the deed with sometimes lives in a hellpit of holiness and there is no way he could ever say shit at school about us . And there's defo no GSA there .
    (If you're gonna be insulted by this post just ignore it and move on. No harm ; no foul breh)

#4 Kriskluwe, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  5. gamercody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope.
    I am 22 in college at a private liberal arts school.... Turn 23 in April. His generation/yours has an extra 4-6 years of advancement than mine had, I know 4-7 years seems so short, but I do know it has become more tolerant and more acceptable.

6. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

Uh, if you say so. Like I said , definitely not my experience or any h s person I know now but ....

7. gamercody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As the previous person mentioned he I suppose still goes through it.

I will say though in SD, despite it being somewhat still clearly conservative has made significant improvements and advancements in accepting members that have a varied orientation.

Arizona is difficult, NY, depends on the area/location cultures.

I know of one person in NY that is openly gay, and he was fine.

So theres positives/negatives to places.

I for one if your friend seems ok with you being gay cool, drag queens many people have yet to accept or understand them.

I think that some also have personal problems as to why they do not like that specific activity or group of people in which they participate/involved in it.

I think if you are scared/afraid then clearly you have to decide what you want to do. For me, despite being in South Dakota for a time, my true friends laughed and said to me "Really? That's it? We knew since we met you in 5th grade"

So you can have "True" friends, or you can have friends that are merely acquaintances... It just depends on the scenario/environment you are in. I think that GSA's are useful, however the choice is of course yours to make. Do what you feel is more easy to do.

8. bigcityboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know if you guys thought so, but I'm not a drag queen or anything by the way LOL. Just a gay dude in dude clothes. The mention of drag queens and transgenders were just examples of how my friend can be a bit iffy with how accepting of LGBT culture and of the community he is. Anyways, I really feel like I'm almost ready to come out to my friend and to be even partially out at school, even if it's just telling one more friend at a time. But I'm still worried of how differently people treat you after coming out, even if they don't care about your orientation. It seems like, "Oh he's gay," is always in the backs of people's minds... Were you guys ever out in high school? Do people treat you noticeably differently after coming out?

9. gamercody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out freshman year because I already was an outcast. It had no additional issues because I was already made fun of. Course I did get amazing friends as a result mostly girls, but I was ok.

I transferred shortly after because we had white people as a minority.

Transferred and if you were gay kind of was a popularity boost. I did better. Depends on area and location

10. ChameleonSoul

Well, even if you're not ready to be completely out, you can still join any GSA without any problem. Every one of them have a confidentiality policy and every person there will be sympathetic of anyone in the closet. If you do decide to go, everyone that goes there for there for the first time will be a bit nervous, but by the time that the meeting is over, all of those negative feelings will have subsided. In case it wasn't obvious by now, I would definitely recommend joining it. It might also be a good idea to PM that one person who's already out so that you can get any questions answered. Good luck no matter what you decide to do, though.

11. Rosalynn

In high school camp for my year, the girls in my room would just not shut up about who my crush was! I hardly knew these girls and they were interrogating me about how tall he was, what eye colour he had, and was he in the same classes as them? It seems to be in the nature of high schoolers!

12. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

It sounds like you already have a tight group of people who cool with your sexuality, so the rest of the people shouldn't matter what they think. If anything is awkward between and your friends which are guys, then by the same principle it must be pretty awkward between your friends who are guys and their friends who are girls. It is essentially the same relationship so if there is ever a misunderstanding between you and a friend just tell him to stop flattering himself. Good luck with whatever you may choose to do ^^

13. bigcityboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll see how this weekend's coming outs go, if I don't chicken out, and then I'll see about going to the GSA. It's funny though, the interest meeting was actually pushed to next Tuesday... maybe it's a sign! LOL