1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Siren, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Siren

I plan to come out this Saturday as both genderqueer and pansexual to my immediate family. How I am going to come out is not the problem, but rather that I'm afraid they will think it's a phase. My dad most likely won't have a problem with it, as he hardly ever questions my 'choices' unless they affect him directly. My grandparents are a different story. They are very conservative - you know, like the kind of people who sit around watching Fox News all day. Even if I were to explain to the best of my ability I doubt they'd understand. I guess the biggest problem is that my grandmother will probably think I am trying to get attention. I have a bit of an alternative fashion, and I guess this translates to her that I'm an attention seeker. Whenever I dye my hair, or even mention something I enjoy that is unusual she asks me why I can't just be normal, or why I want people to notice me. Which isn't even something that crosses my mind until she brings it up.

How can I prove to her that this is not a phase and I am not just trying to be different or get attention? I'm debating just to tell my dad and not tell my grandparents at all. But they have a great influence on my life, so I feel as though they should know. Please give my your opinions. Thanks.

2. BiErik

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Be prepared to explain what genderqueer and pansexal means, because I am pretty surethey aren't going to understand what that is. My advice to you in regards to your grandmother, don't worry about it. She is going to say it's a phase because she wants it to be. She wants you to be "normal." Let her think that. As long as you know who you are, it shouldn't bother you.