1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out day....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CornerSign, Oct 9, 2014.

1. CornerSign

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So in honor of coming out day, at my schools assembly 6 or 7 students came out today. gays, lesbians, bi's, non-binary, everything. Far from giving me hope, it made me feel like shit all day. I feel like a coward. I've never even considered coming out to everybody all at once like that, and then these people do it so easily, I feel weak and ashamed. I feel even more closeted than ever. Has anyone else felt like this? What do I do?

2. Water lover

Water lover Guest

Dude totally the same way. My school is doing ally week next week and I have been so scarced to announce it as a member of student council just because I am closeted. That and damn so many little pride flags to hot glue this weekend. How can my parents think I am straight when I have 500 pride flags in my backpack lol.

3. RainbowMan

While it may have looked easy for those kids that came out, I really don't think that it was as easy for them as you think it might have been - they might have made it look easy, just as I made it look easy when I came out on Facebook last year on Coming Out Day. The fact of the matter is that it wasn't AT ALL easy, and I was nearly non-functional all day. What things appear as on the outside can be far different from a person's experience on the inside.

Just some food for thought.

4. CornerSign

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sorry, I just meant that they were able to do that at all seems incredible to me. Coming out has always felt like this far away thing that one day I'll have to do. Then suddenly it's thrown in my face like that, you know? Obviously I'm happy for them all, but it just seems so terrifying to me.

5. Really

I think you need to give yourself a break. I suspect they had quite a bit of support for this "event" and were probably out in part of their lives already so 99% there.

So you're not ready. That's fine. You can work towards being 1% out and then 5% and then 20% and then maybe at next year's or the following year's coming out day, you can do what they did.

6. CornerSign

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yeah I think I was just being a little to hard on myself. Baby steps. Thank you for your help, that was exactly what I needed to hear.

7. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just sitting here reading all these storys of everyone coming out and it makes me so happy for them but makes me feel I am so what of a whimp because I cant do it I have told three people only two very good lesbian friends and one that I am in love with that is very helpful and understanding ! I dont think I will ever have the nerve to do it :frowning2:

8. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i so wanted to come out to my son today, but i have to wait till the divorce comes through so that her and her family doesnt try to mess with me keeping custody of him. it will happen, im ready and im sure he wont be shocked as ive been laying ground work we even went to a pride event that was local. to all who came out today Bravo Zulu (that means "job well done"):thumbsup:

9. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone needs to come out atbtheirnown time and in their own way. Just because it's National Coming out day, does not mean anyone should feel pressured to come out or feel bad for not.

10. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    this is very true

11. Blossom85

I think people who aren't ready to come out don't need to feel weak or like they are a coward for not doing it.. Only you can know when you are ready to come out, only you can make that decision, and for some.. It is a life changing decision in coming out so there are a lot of things that need to be considered and thought about, first of all safety.. You need to feel safe in the environment that you are coming out in.. And if you are still living at home and are worried you will be kicked out, again that is something that needs to be considered..

I don't think it is easy for anyone to come out, they might make it look easy but it could just be that adrenalin that is fueling them to continue, the feeling of finally feeling free, although they will be feeling extremely nervous and stressed on the inside. When I read coming out stories here, I do sometimes think I wish I could do that.. But I know when I am good and ready, I will. Everyone is different and there is no right or wrong.

12. clovis

Just because today is a day dedicated to 'coming out' doesn't mean that you have to do it today... everyone has their own timelines and comfort level... don't feel weak or defeated if today isn't your day... your day will come and it really doesn't matter if its today, tomorrow, next week, month or year... or like me... in 20 years... its all in due time.