1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do family or friends still believe you're going to hell

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Driftr, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Driftr

If so, How do they cope? How can they ever have a conversation with you while at the back of their minds they believe you're going to hell? Is it even possible.

I'm finding it so hard to come out because I know my mom thinks gays are going to burn, but I don't know about my sisters or my dad.

I'm ready to point out the religious misconceptions of gays in the bible to any family and friends, but I'm scared I won't have their attention long enough because they may not take me seriously or they may be stubborn.

Is there any advice that someone can give me on this?

2. GewfyGlenn

"Love the sinner, hate the sin"

I am not out to my family, but a close friend of mine that is had very poor reactions from his church community. His parents were not close-minded, luckily, they were just confused. His mother actually said to him "Can't you choose not to be?"

As for actual advice, I can't help you sorry. I am only now just a few days out to my closest friends, so anything I say would be pure speculation, but I will give you this. Good luck, and hopefully it goes well with your family !

3. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dad:"It's up to God to decide who goes to heaven and who goes to hell."

4. Kj802

Yea my parents will probably think the same thing,(haven't come out to them yet) there's not a whole lot you really can do, if your parents come around than great if not then I am sorry, but the best you can do is be yourself, be kind and be reasonable. Good luck.

5. AAASAS

No my immediate family doesnt. My grand parents could've never been told basically for that reason, they were really religious; minus my one grandma, and they would've tried to "save" me I think.