1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you deal with homophobia in your highschool?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Frodofox, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Frodofox

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Not sure if this is the right topic to put it in, but I am hoping my story and others will inspire others who are currently having to go to their highschool where they face homo/transphobia.

My first highschool was very homophobic but tried to keep it 'under the carpet' to say. One year, before I came out as Bi a friend of mine opened up a Gay Straight Alliance at our school. The next year the school shut it down, however we still used the facebook page the creator of the club made to talk about LGBT issues. They also disallowed the same person to come to prom with his boyfriend as his date. Then a year after that we hosted the annual talent show, but they changed it a bit. This year students could vote for a winner and the winner would get a trophy and announcement of their achievement over the intercom. This one student, who I still talk to know and then over social media, came on the stage and said "This song is for my boyfriend" then he began to sing a love song while playing piano. Well, long story short he won and our school's leadership was pissed. They refused to announce his victory over the intercom and there was talk of them trying to fire the teacher who was in charge of the show because she knew what he was going to say on stage and allowed it.
    I remember as school was ending that day and everyone was in the commons/lunch area talking, waiting for rides, etc one active member of the GSA club stood on a table and yelled '___ WON THE TALENT SHOW!' and lots of people cheered. The next day the principle made an announcement over the intercom that he won the talent show and no one got in trouble for it.

Yeah, right.

I ended up switching schools because of that and issues with grades. This was an online highschool for unmotivated and struggling teens and we had to go to the building a couple days of the week in case we needed help in a class or motivation, etc. My teacher was a friendly guy who was very interested in my wish to be an artist. I once showed him my online art store and he right away noticed my pro-gay shirt and told me he was going to buy it. (it was expressing to legalize gay marriage in our state, Michigan.) He didn't wear it to school because it was too casual for his job, but he would tell me once in a while how much he loved my shirt and when he wore it.

2. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    People can be so closed minded sometimes I came from a small town my self and they also did not allow what the called strange and unusual people to cause get noticed ! If you tried you pushed to back of the room and hushed up I think that is one of the biggest reasons I never came out I was too scared to ! That is awesome that he bought the shirt I wish more people were that cool and understanding !

3. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i went into the closet, dug a basement, crawled under the basement and pulled the earth in on top of me. for me to come out in highschool was a sure road to end up face down in a ditch. Yeah, it was that bad. that's why i figure i wouldn't allow me to come out to myself till after my marriage broke up (non LGBT issues) and i took a LONG look at myself and allowed myself to feel more. (still working on the last part.)

4. Frodofox

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's similar to what happened to me as I started to notice I was Bi. Don't worry, you will get there!