1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jewish look on homosexuality...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Smiley1123, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Smiley1123

I was wondering what the views on homosexuality are from the Jewish views. Just curious. I am jewish but not religious at all.

2. Cheese Love

I'm not Jewish, but I do know that they follow the old testament which is much more black and white than the new testament.

Having read nearly all of the old testament, I think it's definitely more strict regarding the way you live (in many ways). For example, like eating foods that are kosher and partaking in traditions like the passover.

The book of Leviticus (found in the Torah) does briefly bring up the subject of homosexuality, saying one shall not lie with a man as one lies with a woman.

Also- the old testament is the source of Sodom and Gomorrah in the book of Genesis. Sodom and Gomorrah was supposedly a "wicked" city of people who practiced Sodomy, and that is why God supposedly destroyed the city. However, there are difference viewpoints on the subject.

I know for a fact that at the time, hospitality was *very* important among the hewbrew people. No matter who, you were always hospitable to others. When God sent two messengers to Sodom and Gomorrah, they were not met with hospitality which is another explanation for the city and its demise.

#2 Cheese Love, Sep 25, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Most of the Jewish people I know don't care, and I know a bi-Jewish person :wink: .

4. Nixon

Views on Gay Marriage
    Refom Judaism
    CCAR Quote March 2000 "We do hereby resolve that, that the relationship of a Jewish, same gender couple is worthy of affirmation through appropriate Jewish ritual, and further resolved, that we recognize the diversity of opinions within our ranks on this issue. We support the decision of those who choose to officiate at rituals of union for same-sex couples, and we support the decision of those who do not."

Ritual Being Standard Marriage Ritual

5. MacAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm gay and jewish. My family had no problems with it, but one set of great aunts and uncles doesnt know, because they're very very conservative jews... and i dont wanna upset them, although i doubt they'd care that much.