1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to come out to my school. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Elementsroyalty, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Elementsroyalty

So, I'm in my first year of college (grade 11) and I finally feel it's the time to come out. I've been longing to come out ever since I came here so I can be myself and hopefully find a girlfriend. However, I've never had the time or a proper reason.
    I wanted to come out on the official coming out day but unfortunately my school was on holidays then. Instead, I want to do it on my first day back.
    I don't want to make a big thing of it. Maybe just wear a rainbow bracelet or something to school.
    I would like to know if you have any advice or suggestions of what I could do.

2. apoptosis

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Coming out at school is fairly hard, I suppose, since there's really no way you can let everyone know at the same time and telling everyone in person doesn't seem like a good idea too.
    In my school there are some lesbians out of the closet, but I really can't remember how they came out. Everyone just knew they were gay because they could be easily spotted kissing with girls or holding hands while walking down a hall.
    But it's much harder if, like me, you're yet to find a girlfriend. I guess your idea of wearing a rainbow bracelet or some other rainbow accent is pretty good. It's just important to be brave and when someone asks you if it means you're gay, honestly respond it does. If you let a couple of people know, chances are the news will spread and in some time lesbians in your school will know about you :slight_smile:
    Another way of letting people know is waiting for an opportunity. If there are debates, discussions or other LGBT-related activities held in your school, take part in them and voice your strong opinion. It's one way of drawing people's attention to you and hopefully someone will ask if you aren't gay yourself, to which you can answer truthfully. There could be other lesbians watching or attending the event, so be bold!
    That's all I can come up with right now, but if I think of anything else I'll definitely inform you :slight_smile: I know it takes a lot of courage to come out (the courage I apparently don't have), so I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I wish you good luck!