1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So......

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by brodew, Oct 13, 2014.

1. brodew

Well, I'm no longer a kid and no longer confused. I know who I am, even if it took me this long to find myself. I am Bi. I grew up in a very small rural town in Iowa. My graduate class was less than 100 students. Where I grew up being gay was just un heard of. So bi, forget about it. So there was just no one I had ever felt comfortable talking to about my attraction to both genders. I am not yet 30 and have been in to long relationships with women I love. The first ended after 6 years and I caught her cheating(high school sweet hearts), the second after 5 years of marriage.
    Since then I have been out on dates with members of both genders. I haven't met the right person yet but I do understand myself so much better now and realize its not a part of me that I need to just set aside. But during this time I was living in another state where I really didn't know anyone. I felt comfortable not having to talk to people I know about it. But just recently I moved back home to Iowa and am renting a place literally 1 house away from family.
    I have been wanting to tell someone and thought about telling my brother and his wife. My brother and I are really close and I'm afraid he will treat me differently(not necessarily bad but different), and I don't want that. I used to think he wouldn't accept it at all but I also recently found out that my brother's wife's sister (my sister in-law by extension), is bisexual and open about it. My brother doesn't treat her weird from what I can tell and she lived with them for a year. Although he does still seem uneducated. I also thought about talking this over with my in-law and see how she thinks he would take it and going from there. I'm just still not sure. I'm comfortable with who I am but I just hate to stand out for any reason and I always have. I don't even like positive recognition it is just who I am.
    I was just looking for thoughts on this.

2. Really

Do you know that sister-in-law very well? Could you suss out from her what reaction she got from your brother and his wife (if she didn't already know) when they found out about her?
    Sounds like they'll be fine from what you say but maybe she can shed a bit of light on the matter.

3. clovis

I agree with Really... if you know the sister... maybe you can feel her out to see how they treated her... but if you cant... from what you have said... if you are close with your brother... I think he will be supportive. maybe feel him out by dropping some hints... just to see what he says. Good Luck