1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Afraid to come out.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by QuietlyGay, Oct 14, 2014.

1. QuietlyGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey...
    So, I guess I'm relatively young, and would be considered as being... i dunno... too young to make a definitive decision (which is ridiculous, but you know... society). I am a lesbian and have been for a while (at least consciously). I'm not ashamed of who I am, I'm proud of my freedom to choose who I love, and I have told a close friend and my supportive father about my sexuality. They both support me completely, which has given me a lot of confidence. However, I'm uncertain as to whether i should come out to more people. I don't want to risk being treated differently or looked down upon by my peers, and the people i would once have called friends. I don't want to be ridiculed, shunned, treated differently or looked down upon for something which is a part of my natural being. I feel completely out of my depth, because i desperately want to be proud of who i am an unashamed to tell the world, but I'm terrified that it will be a mistake, one that i can never take back. Besides, even if i do want to come out, how should i go about it? And what do i do if people hate me?
    If anyone has any idea about anything that could help me, i will thank you for it immensely.

2. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

That's great your friend and father support you if you feel ready to come out go right ahead I support you coming out isn't a easy task

3. lion12

Hey!
    First, congratulations on coming out to one of your friends and your father, it's a big step. I'm glad they are supportive! I understand that you're scared to come out to your friends, because you can never know in advance how they will react and as you said, you can never take it back. But I don't think you should see it as a mistake even if it doesn't go as well as you would want it to... Because no matter how your peers react, you'll have taken a huge step and it will be something to be proud of.
    It really is a tough question to answer. Perhaps you could try to bring up the subject by talking about something in the news about equality or anything related to LGBT and see how your friends will react before telling them? And if you feel like they're open, maybe you could start by talking to some of your closest friends and see how they react before you come out to more people? I say take it step by step and don't push yourself to do anything you're not ready to do.
    I hope things all go well for you, no matter when and how you decide to come out! :slight_smile: