1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just came out to my grandmother, not the reaction I was hoping for. :/

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TizianoBae, Oct 14, 2014.

1. TizianoBae

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi everyone,

I just came out to my grandmother tonight, I was a bit sceptical of her reaction and when I told her, she just laughed and asked me how do I know that I'm gay and I said that I haven't been emotionally and sexually attracted to girls, I think she didn't believe me when I came out, but she said I was maybe bisexual and I said that I am not attracted to girls at all, but she said that I haven't been in a relationship with a boy or a girl so how would I know?, it just annoyed me a lot.

But she's accepted me anyway.

What do you think? :confused:

2. RedFireFly

Kind of a weird reaction from you grandma in my opinion, but hey, she's accepted you :slight_smile: If she dorsn't believe you, maybe you should get your parents or siblings or something to help?

3. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe she thinks you are just saying it because you have not be in a relationship yet an does not want to see you rush into anything and she is also from a time when they were taught that it is boys and girls and if you were attracted to the same sex that wrong . I am not saying that it was right but it did happen ,just be patient and take things slow and be your self and don't worry what anybody else thinks you are the one that needs to be happy with who ever you choose wither its a guy or a girl it does not matter :slight_smile: we will be happy with who ever you choose .Good luck :slight_smile:

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems like a positive step in the right direction. Her reaction was non judgemental, but concerned about how you went about making the realisation for yourself. That's what and others do.

5. Blossom85

I think that reaction is a little strange, her laughing.. But otherwise she sounded accepting and I think she just needs to process it as well.. What we need to realize is when we are ready to come out.. We are at that stage of acceptance already.. We can't expect everyone to just accept it all straight away when it might have taken us a long time to accept it ourselves, so just give her time and maybe make subtle comments to keep her clued into you being gay.

6. CrazyAwkward

Sorry she didn't react the way you hoped she would. I also think her laughing was a bit strange. But at least she was accepting. Maybe she will come around after she has a little more time to process things.

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, you need to be the one to educate her. She's spent most of her life in times where homosexuality was such a taboo. Honestly, I think she's quite open-minded if she's asking such questions.

8. RainbowSocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My mom said basically the same thing. "How do you know if you've never dated a guy? Just to see?"

Did she have to date a girl just to see if she was straight? Which is exactly what I said to her :slight_smile:

I would focus on the positive side...she was accepting. Baby steps :slight_smile: