1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my Mum

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by FabulousQueen, Oct 14, 2014.

1. FabulousQueen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey guys, I recently just joined this website seeking advice. Hopefully I haven't placed this threat in the wrong section of the forums.

I recently came out to my sister, and she has responded positively. She has accepted me and loves me even more for telling her, we even have a stronger relationship because of that.

Now I wish to tell my Mum, which is quite nerve-racking. Since the fact that I'm only 14 and previously told my sister in Febuary-ish. I know for a fact she will love me and accept me. However, I have tried previously to bring the conversation up. But I can't. I feel a physical lock on my throat blocking me from saying this.

In the October holiday, I'm going to a small vacation (not abroad) to somewhere (Wont mention places) where it will be just me, my sister and my mum (My dad and mum broke up, still friends, won't go into details).

I feel like this is my opportunity to tell her, however I can't bring the conversation up. When I try to figure on the spot what to say, I get confused and jumble it up. So I kind of need a sentence starter :slight_smile:help:slight_smile:

I was thinking of 'Hey mum, I have something to get off my chest for a while, I hope you will love me still, I'm gay'. :icon_redf

Any advice :help::help:

2. ajsivy

well i was never able to out right tell them maybe you can write a note or a letter or something to this day i have not yet came out to anyone while talking it has always been text or im. I would recommend doing it however you feel comfortable. Hope this helps. As i have recently came out to people i know how stressful it can be considering i am 14 also wish you the best of luck.

3. SpaceSuit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would second the suggestion to write it out. Doing it that way means you can choose your words carefully and put everything you want to say out in the open in the best way possible.

I am so glad that your sister has been supportive and that you've grown closer. :slight_smile:. That is awesome!

4. ChameleonSoul

I also think that you should write it out. Not only will it let you plan out exactly what you want to say, but it'll also give your mother some time to process everything at once. I'd also see if you could get your sister to be there when you talk about it with your mother. In the case that your mother has trouble accepting it, she might be a bit more careful with what she says if your sibling is sitting there with you.

5. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You can write a letter that is a great way to do it ,but if you do not like that way you can always say it maybe say something like this ,make sure she is sitting down maybe even do it when she is busy or driving and say mom I have something that is bothering me and I need to tell you .This is really important to me and I want to share it with you because you mean so much to me . This is so hard for me to say so I will just say it ! Mom I am gay . But that is just a thought good luck my new friend we are here for you and let us know how it turns out .

6. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As long as ur mom will actually read the letter,and discuss afterwords, i think its a good idea. unfortunately, me and my mom have not discussed it, and im not sure if shhe even read it, and thats causing a great deal of stress. but also, see if ur sister will help you. it can be helpful to have someone with you to draw courage from. also, she could help you explain some things when you get too stressed or lost or something like that. the latter would be if u were to tell in person, or after her reading the letter and the discussion is taking place. good luck! :slight_smile:

7. Blossom85

If you feel you can't say it, then I do agree that writing something might be a good idea.. It will give you an opportunity to say what you wanna say and think it all out as well. I always plan my thoughts out better when I write it down and I express myself better in writing too, so I think if you really can't say it face to face, then there is really nothing wrong with the letter idea, a lot of people have done it this way here and I think once she has read it and perhaps had time to think it through a little, you can sit down and talk to her about it.