1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to some communities and not others?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sailingonwards, Oct 14, 2014.

1. sailingonwards

Is it possible to be out to one community and not another community? I want to come out to my school, because I know they'd be really chill about it. But I really don't want word getting out to other, less open-minded communities I'm a part of. Has anyone successfully managed this? Is it even possible?

2. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have not done that but I a question is there anybody from your school involved with any of your other communities ? If so are you sure that they will keep your secret . I understand that you trust them at school but people change when they are out away from other friends . I wish you all the best of luck I only wish I could be more helpful .

3. iiimee

Umm, I am in the closet like you. Still, I have told seven of my friends from school. It depends I think on if the teachers will say anything to your parents. If your parent/guardian is not very active around school, it may be less of a risk they find out. Still, you have to think of whatever group you want to keep it a secret from, and if any of the people at school might be able to tell them.

Just my advice, but I am new so idk :/

4. sailingonwards

There's one kid whose friends in the other communities like to toss around slurs like it's nothing, but I think he has enough sense to not out me to them. But I'm not entirely sure, as there are almost no secrets within that cluster of friends.

5. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sort of straddling both sides. I'm out to my friends at school, but there's only one person at my job who knows because she's my best friend from school as well. It's just a matter of choosing who you tell and knowing who is and is not going to spread it. I know that if I tell the wrong person that my secret will get out, so I'm careful whom I tell and careful who's around when I say anything. It's all a matter of who knows and whether or not they tell others.