1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to start

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by love dont judge, Oct 14, 2014.

1. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    im hoping to tell my parents soon, but im not sure how to start. everything that i try to say just doesnt sound right. i dont want i have to tell you something, cause that sounds too formal, but by the way, im bi just sounds way to laid back. can anyone help in telling them, or even help me sum up the courage to tell them?:icon_sad: :help:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It's great that you feel almost ready to come out to your parents. :slight_smile:

What might help you is to write out your thoughts and what you want to say. Arranging your thoughts, and think a bit more about what you would like to say can help in increasing your confidence. Writing it all out, could also give you some ideas to how you could approach it, and what you could say.

Try not to worry about whether it is too formal or too laid back at this point.You could start with: "I have reached a point where I need to be honest with you and tell you that I'm bi" and take it from there.

Start the conversation with something that conveys the importance of the message. You want your parents to listen when you speak with them, or read the letter, should you decide to write a letter for them.

3. Blossom85

I had that same issue of just not knowing how to start the conversation with mum.. Lucky for me, there was something that was brought up in a group conversation that I was then able to start as my reference the next day..

Sadly, It isn't anything I could tell you to start with as it was a personal situation with myself and a family member asking if my best friend assumed I was gay because she posted on my facebook wall and tagged another girl in in as if she was setting us up.. My best friend does know I am bisexual though, but it really like a sign to me that It was time cause it was the perfect opportunity for me to bring that up.. In the end.. We didn't have a big conversation about it, it kind of went to a point of being an anti climax type of situation for me.. I know she heard what I said and she hasn't treated me any different since..

However, if you want a semi informal kind of talk, maybe bring up a LGBT issue which has been in the news lately and marriage equality and depending on your states stance on same sex relationships, maybe say you are glad it seems to be coming in more states or that you wish your state was more accepting and then if they ask why, you could then bring it up that it would be benefiting for you personally as you are bisexual.

4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't jump right into labeling yourself, just tell them that you are interested in dating, but that you want them to know that you like some boys you see as well as some girls you see, so some of your "dates" will probably be with boys, not just with girls, as you want to see how it feels to date with both genders to figure out which you feel more comfortable with. If they ask you if you are gay/bi/straight, trying to label you, just tell them that you aren't sure yet, which is why you want to date both to help you figure out what seems more natural for you, but right now you are comfortable with the idea of dating either boys or girls. They will probably assume that you might be gay, so whatever you decide to label yourself later, if you do, they will be prepared for it.