1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really terrified but want to do it

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Akira12, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wanna come out to my grandma at least. Iv lived with her for basically my whole life since my mom wasn't ready to be well a mom. I love my grandma and I know she loves me but she's also a Jehovah witness and doesn't necesarily hate gays but frowns upon it if that makes sense? She doesn't agree with it but won't go and discredit them and whatnot. I'm scared that she might reject me or something but I hate not telling her and beig open. I'm always confiding with her. Any ideas on how to lessen the scariness or how to tell her? Should I just be blunt and say I'm gay or bring the topic of gays up? What do I do if she says its just a phase or u don't know yet or something? I still have this small part of my brain saying are u sure your gay? Iv gotten better of accepting myself but still have that feeling.

2. Mister Jace

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Why not take it slow? You have your entire life to come out and show who you are, and I get that the sooner the better may have its appeal, but why not take some precautions first?
    Make sure if there's a negative reaction, you've somewhere to go for a few hours if she needs some time to herself. And then just ease into it. Ask her opinions, hint at it, and if you think she'll be okay, open up. Give insight as to why you know you're gay, and handle it as maturely as possible and there won't be as much room for her to assume it's a phase. Present yourself as you want to be received.
    Or, you could always leave a note for her, if face-to-face seems atrociously terrifying. Leave it for her before you head out for the day/night to classes or with some friends, maybe. Or give it time.
    I, personally, had a friend that was willing to take me in, and then told my parents and a sibling over text message while we were at separate locations, and we ended up talking more in detail after the initial shock was over.
    Go with your gut instinct, and then work with that to ensure your happiness and safety.
    It'll be okay. :slight_smile:

3. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think that Mister Jace has given you so great advice ! Take things slow and who knows she maybe more understanding than you think . I wish you the best of luck .

4. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks! That is some really fantastic advice! Thanks so much