1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I find it's easier...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Yeety, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Yeety

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    to come out to new-ish friends instead of old ones the only good friends who know I'm bisexual is the friend I had a crush on and one who lives down the street. Can someone tell me why I find it easier to come out to new friends?

2. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    I kind of feel the same thing, although I haven't come out to any of these people yet.

I think it's because you have an established "reputation" and personality amongst your old friends, and coming out would suddenly undermine your consistence, like, make it seem like you've been a liar through all these years. Or at least that's what's it like for me.

3. Litveninko

wow, same here, i think it's because if you told your old friends you are afraid to lose them if they didn't accept you. you know wat i mean?

4. laut

Out Status:
    A few people
    It's definitely easier to be out right from the start with someone. There's no 'old you' so there's no need for them to re-evaluate their understanding of you.

5. ajsivy

same here and i agree with user123456 your current friends have known you for a while but new friends well are new and don't have expectations

6. TheStormInside

I haven't gotten that far yet, either, but I'd agree. I feel like I have to have a deep discussion with close friends I've known for a long time, like I owe them explanations and will have to help them along in their understanding as I give them "new" information about myself. With newer friends or acquaintances there's not nearly so much baggage to work through. I don't think I plan to formally "come out" to any of them exactly, just start to be more open about my feelings or attractions if the subject comes up, and they can figure it out from there.