1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Test Run

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by seeking, Oct 16, 2014.

1. seeking

I was thinking of getting my aunt to like talk about some LGBT issue going on in the city and then say "what if [seeking] was gay?"

So then i would have an idea of how my ma might react.

good idea or bad idea?

thanx for any responses!

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that's actually a really good idea, but I'm not sure how you'll pull it off? Do you mind sharing your plan? :0

3. seeking

Well in my aunt's city that i was working in last summer.. a shooter shot a guy because he thought the victim look/was homosexual. So the shooter went up to the guy and was like "Are you a Gay?" I think the shooter might have said F--. The victim ignored the shooter. Then maybe a hour or 2 hours later the shooter crosses path with the victim (could have even been following the victim) and shot the victim.

found story - New York Man Fatally Shot In Alleged Anti-Gay Hate Crime -

So i was gonna have my aunt say "I met this really sweet man at my job around [seekings] age and he wants to be a firefighter, but he is gay....so he is worried about discrimination." Then my ma will say whatever. My aunt will talk about the incident last summer.. and all the discrimination gays might have to deal with. Ma says whatever. After my aunt will say "What if [seeking] was gay, how would you feel about that?"

So what do you think, Nychthemeron? My aunt is a retired firefighter so not so weird she meet a man pursing that career.

I don't know yet if my aunt will help me out but it is a idea to give to my ma.

4. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds good. It's a really good way to test the waters before jumping in. I hope you work something out with her. :0

5. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I say go for it I hope it all works out ! Please let us know what happens good luck

6. seeking

Thank you both, definitely will keep you updated.

I am afraid my aunt will be like well are you sure.. have you been with any woman?

I know you don't need to date someone to truly know your sexuality, but that is a question she may pose to almost be like "are you sure you want to do this?"

(&&&)

#6 seeking, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  7. Really

Your aunt was a firefighter in NY? I don't think you need to worry about her questioning your veracity. She's bound to know or have known gay women. If she does ask if you're sure, it will only be due to surprise not skepticism.
    Good luck!

8. seeking

Yes she was.

Thank you :icon_bigg (*hug*)

9. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a question, based on what you know about your Ma today, and choosing based on what you know between favorable/positive, neutral/unconcerned or negative/disappointed, which one would best describe how you think the reaction would be?

10. seeking

I think negative/disappointed in the beginning...She is known to have a hot head before she accepts something. But knowing her i feel it will ease into neutral, but idk what she will do until she accepts it. If that makes sense.

11. Tallu

If she is hot tempered she may sense she was set up, which may inflame the situation. Might be better for your aunt to just speak straight with her and admit she is in a mediating situation because you don't want to upset her. It should be stressed how much you want her approval, or at least understanding. That's approaching the scenario in a healthier manner I think, than something round about which might be construed as manipulative (even though I know you don't mean it to be.)

12. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend to agree with Tallu. Probably better for your aunt to be more transparent. Thereafter, you can then talk to your Ma.

13. seeking

She does contradict herself about LGBT stuff... so it is kinda hard to tell how she may truly react.

I remember when i started to go to therapy for depression and anxiety. The doctor thought i should try meds. I told my ma and she accused me that i just didn't want to go to college.
    Like wt! how does those two things connect? Me going for help trying to resolve my emotional issues is me wanting to succeed. This is all coming from a woman who has a bachelors in psychology.

So that is hot-headed i feel. She will also not allow you explain something and just keep cutting you off.

I would like to fully come out with a letter. But, i would like to know her views on sexuality before i give her the letter just incase she kicks me out. Because i need to be prepared for that possibility meaning i will have to then figure out when to tell her if she is the type to cut me off.

14. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any chance she already suspects?

15. seeking

Possibly. She does ask me a lot, do you think that guy on tv is cute, you need to date a football player, Do you think that guy is cute (on campus), etc. So she might be doing that because she thinks it is weird that i am not interested in guys, rejecting guys pass, and not even going after guys.

So she might already. But usually if she knows or suspects something she is not afraid to confront you. Say she knows you are say some mean stuff about her behind her back....She will say to you "i guess i am just -whatever you have said to someone else about her-" SO if she knew i was gay, do you think she would do that to me... or the fact she keeps pointing out guys and trying to hook me up a sign that she may already suspect something is odd with my attraction?

16. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Although, she might also know that it's your life and only you can control where it goes. Some parents do have a way of trying to provide guidance without directly interfering. She might be trying to steer you in a certain direction, but knows that she can not dictate who you are or how you should live.

17. seeking

So you think she already suspects?

18. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Based solely on what you said, it sounds like a possibility.