1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parental Pressure

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GageM, Oct 18, 2014.

1. GageM

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Okay, so to preface this, I am NOT ready to come out yet. I have a plan of how and when to come out, and now is not the time. However, the problem now is that my parents and other relatives are constantly pressuring me to date. I managed to fight them off for a while now since I've always been a bit of a shut in nerdy-type. However, I don't think I can keep using the same exscuse, especially since they've recently gotten my other relatives to pile on the pressure for me to date a girl. They've gone so far as to attempt to arrange a date for me. Any advice?

2. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been through this, I know how annoying it can be. My advice is to stick to your guns and just refuse the dates. Pretty soon some family fiasco or big event will get their attention on something and someone else

3. oscarneedslove

Yeah I know it really sucks. I am now almost 30 now they are asking when I am getting married. How old are you btw?

4. GageM

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm 17, which is kind of why my relatives are putting so much pressure on me. They want me to have all of my high school experiences before I go to college, which I guess includes having a girlfriend.

5. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Tell them that you are more interested in making good grades ans school right now and don't have the time for dating you will date when you are good and ready ! that is my opinion tho lol good luck

6. ChameleonSoul

Don't worry, I'm 17 too and my family and friends are putting me in the same position. I guess some of the best advice that I could give you is exactly what lb41974 gave you. By doing that, I've been able to get quite a few people off my back without coming out to them.

7. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Telling you are waiting for the right person. That this should not be hasted or forced or pressured.

8. BRBT

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Coming from mother nerdy shut in person... stick to your guns for now. When you want to tell them, and when you know yourself, you need to consider a few things. Us nerds are got at analysing things: Teen Health - Health Topics - Coming out

When you decide to tell them, ensure that, if they may be a bit conservative, that you have a place to go, or good supportive friends who know. If conservative, tell them by text or phone call, to keep you safe. I have some issues with my Dad's side of the family, i've told Dad but cannot bring myself to tell the others. I will one day though. Remember, if you get a mouthful of its unnatural and against carved stones dating back thousands of years ago (christianity), remember that sexuality isn't a choice, gay, bi, trans, asexual, herto whatever, nothing wrong with it!! :slight_smile: You don't have a choice!