1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Announcing it to the World

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LanguageLearner, Oct 19, 2014.

1. LanguageLearner

I've come out to close friends, family, and team mates before. I feel kind of ready to just put it out there in the open, but I'm not 100% sure. How do you know if you're ready for that?

2. RalphHenry

RalphHenry Guest

It's cliché, but you'll know when the time is right. A big pointer is when you're tired of hiding it AND you don't care if anyone finds out or knows.

3. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have to agree you will know when the time is right . I wish you best of luck .

4. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I was in your position, I would just let people figure it out. Don't tell them all together and make a big show of it, just tell a few people you like and let people think it over themselves. That way, you won't have everybody looking at you funny and there won't be as much of a shock factor associated with it. If people ask, just tell them! It sounds like you are ready to be yourself :icon_bigg
    Even though I have openly shared my sexuality with people, a lot of them simply don't know or don't have the guts to ask me about it lol. There's no need to make your identity into a huge topic of discussion, it's just who you are :slight_smile:

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My thought process back in the day was that coming out involved two parts:

* Telling those close to me.
    * Not caring who else knows.

Once I had the first part down, I was pretty much done. I didn't bother chasing down the mailman or the guy three doors down to let him know I was gay. If it came up, great. If it didn't, no big deal.

If you're in that same sort of mindset, you might just go that route.

Lex

6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Quite a few threads on this exact topic. And I agree with Lexington as well. At some point, "coming out" evolves to where you no longer are anxious when you come out to people. If you are anxious to get a "mass mailing" out there, social networks are a good way to do it.

7. Confused Teen18

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You will know when the time is right. Just like you know when you are hungry and ready to eat. :slight_smile:

8. LanguageLearner

Thank you everyone. I think Lexington and Bubblemonger are probably right. I should just focus on telling everyone close to me. Then, if someone ask I can tell them. That avoids the big shock factor to everyone and all that "fun" stuff.

I also like what Bubblemonger suggested on another thread: I could also say my thoughs/feelings aloud. That will probably help me feel better. That way, it's not all locked up inside.

If I ever need a "mass mailing" I probably will go with some video online. In opinion, a video spreads the message better than writing would.