1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friends again or not?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by james222, Oct 21, 2014.

1. james222

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok so me and my best friend recently stopped talking to each other (about a month ago) and literally haven't said a word to each other since that night. Would usually see or talk to him at least once a day before this. Of all my friends I feel that he is the one that is kind of homophobic and does not have a clue I am gay. So the point of this thread is that I am thinking of coming out soon, (by soon I mean in the next like 6 months or so, so not that soon) and basically since we have stopped talking I have been so happy and relaxed. I finally feel that I don't give a s**t what anyone thinks or will think when I do come out and I am wondering should I ever be friends with him again? I mean he is/was a great friend but if I am this happy not being his friend (and to be honest there is a more chance of me coming out while I am not friends with him) should I just avoid him and not make friends again? I am actually worried that we will be out drinking some night with all of our friends and we will start talking and become friends again, or does this all sound a bit mean? I really don't know anymore:bang:…..thanks :icon_bigg

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You say he was a great friend but for some reason you are no longer talking. Obviously it's not connected to your sexuality, but if you are no longer on speaking terms it suggests something fairly serious happened to cause this situation. You don't have to tell us what it was, but how serious was it really? A "great" friendship should be able to withstand a lot of stress, including you coming out as gay, I would suggest. If he would not react well to you coming out, what would that say about him as a friend?

Lets just assume you patch things up with him, then come out to him in six months. If he responds negatively, as you imagine, it's going to bring you right back to this point anyway, isn't it?

Nobody can tell you who you should choose as a friend, but if you are happier now, why not stick with that feeling and save yourself the extra stress further down the line. It's not being mean to protect yourself from homophobia.