1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Since coming out, my parents are worried about my age, self-diagnosis, and T

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tai, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I came out about my gender (and sexuality, but that was a minor detail) to my parents a week before National Coming Out Day, on October 4th.

Since then, they have been supportive and in agreement with my wishes to see a therapist to "make sure I'm right." However, there have been three concerns voiced by my mom:

1. I am 16 years old and that's when most people go through the "Who am I" identity crisis stage, as she words it. She believes that until we fully mature - which varies for everyone but she set a standard of 25 as an example - we shouldn't assume that we are transgender because it may only be part of the "finding yourself" process. She said that she went through this herself. According to her, I am young and impressionable, and that anything I read and seem to relate to, I'd label myself that way instantly. I wouldn't have doubted myself as much if it were just my mom saying that, but my mom has been talking to many therapists and they all - including my uncle, who has had about as much schooling as you can get in psychology -say the same thing: that I am young, naive, and may possibly believe I am transgender just because I relate to things trans people go through. Isn't that how you tell that you're trans, though?

2. I diagnosed myself with help from this site, and people on this site may have experience in this subject, but they cannot officially diagnose me. When I came out, I told them I had been on a forum for LGBT people (didn't say the name of it), and they told me that I cannot be diagnosed by people on here or by myself (which is true, I guess). They told me to limit time on this site, which I have been doing, and they are concerned that since others online are not official therapists, I may get the wrong idea.

3. She is devastated at the thought of me starting T and getting top surgery (in the future, of course, not at 16). I asked why, and she said that they, as parents, have tried so hard to keep my body as natural and healthy as possible by feeding me healthy food, keeping drug intake to a minimum, not letting me dye my hair, not letting me get tattoos, etc. They didn't take care of their bodies when they were younger and now are overweight and unhappy. I am very grateful for their dedication to keeping me healthy and my body unaltered, but my mom is so sad when thinking I'd alter my body for top surgery and T. She said, "It would go against what we've been trying to achieve through your whole life so far." She knows when I am 18 I can do whatever I want, but she still doesn't like it.

How would you react/defend yourself in this situation? I'm not saying I object to any of her concerns and will use your thoughts against her. I just want to know what you would say against this; it will help me analyze and think about how to handle their concerns.

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She has agreed for you to go to therapy, right? So in this case, it probably makes sense to simply listen to what they have to say, go see the therapist, and then continue the discussion with them following your visits with the therapist. I would not get bent out of shape regarding point three, she is simply being a concerned parent. Overall, my take of what you have written is that they are being supportive, albeit cautious. As a parent, that makes sense.

3. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Tai, Hello , I see there point about you getting bad advise from strangers . You have to be the one that makes the decision on who you are and what you want not people here, friends ,family or even the therapist ,they can give you advise and try to help but it is all up to you in the end ! I wish you all the best of luck in your journey please be strong and hold you head up high no matter what happens to you ! Because you are special and deserve to be happy . :slight_smile:

4. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you guys. :slight_smile: I know I have to make my own decisions, but with everyone around me questioning me, I don't feel sure of myself at all or know what direction I should be going in. Thank you, though.

5. Tardis2020

Make sure your therapist is a LGBT-friendly one and they'll most likely be able to help you and your parents. Plus a therapist would probably be seen as a suitable person to "diagnose" you.

6. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    She has gender and sexuality as two of the things she does, so I would imagine she's pretty friendly.

7. Tardis2020

Sounds good. I hope everything works out for you

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are the person that knows yourself best. This is something that takes some parents some time to become used to as their children grow up. It takes some getting used to by parents as their kids become more self-aware. So, remember that this is a process. I'm sure that it took some time for you to get used to the idea of being transgender, so it will take your parents some time to get used to you being transgender.

I know that it can be hard while everybody else is questioning you, but you have to remember that you went through all of this too at one point. Now, you just have to try to remain confident in your identity. One of the things that helped me at this time was thinking about all of the things that made me realize that I am transgender. This always helped calm me down when I was freaking out about my identity.

It also sounds like you have a good therapist lined up, so I hope that she can aid you in guiding your parents in the right direction :slight_smile:

9. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks Brad! I really appreciate it.