1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nightfall, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Nightfall

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel so unsupported because my family doesn't believe that I am bi.

So whenever I'd be discussing my bisexuality with a trusted friend, my mom barges in and yells at me for talking to a friend about it. She doesn't think I am bi, even though I very well know I am.

I'd like some advice on how to convince my family and gain their support please!!!:help::icon_sad::bang:

2. zipitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a tough situation, and honestly I haven't been in your shoes. When I came out my parents were shocked but didn't outright say that they didn't believe me. It took months before my Mom would start talking about it (my Dad, almost two years later, still pretends I'm straight).

My advice to you: figure out a way to support yourself. Love yourself. Throughout my whole coming out process, the only person I could depend on was me, myself and I.

This book saved my life: Amazon.com: Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind (9781590308493): Shunryu Suzuki, David Chadwick: Books

I'd be happy to mail you a copy free of charge. It's about finding yourself, your core being. It's not a religious book at all just FYI. I've given it away 100s of times and it has made huge differences in people life. My way of paying it forward to others is giving it away for free (copies only cost a few bucks apiece anyways).

Let me know!

3. Confused Teen18

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've often seen TV shows with parents like this. I'm watching one now; "Faking It". You could watch it and see it it helps.

I am really not strong on giving advice, but i'd say you should stop trying to convince them and just live your life. Some way or the other's they'll be forced to believe in who you really are.

I am sorry about your situation though. I hope it gets better.

4. DarkestDream

Hi, Nightfall,
    Your family is reacting out of insecurity and fear, but YOU don't have to. You just be yourself, and don't let anyone make you feel bad about that. Coming to this site, meeting people who are supportive here is a great help! :slight_smile: (*hug*)

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am bi, and my dad is the same way regarding this topic. He still doesn't understand and never will. Mom is coming around though. People don't understand bisexuality.

6. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  7. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not sure, a lot of parents are pretty set in their ways. If you fail to convince them, could you ask them if you agree to disagree? I'm not brilliant at advice, but if I was to give you some advice, it would probably be to ask to talk about it with your parents and one of your close friends together, that way you aren't outnumbered xx