1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I Get Offended Too Easily?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lacri, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Lacri

Lacri Guest

Ok, so first off I want everyone's honest opinon. So as some of you may know, my mom hates homosexuality. And once in awhile she will bring it up in a rude comment (I don't know any on the top of my head) that she knows will get me upset. So I will fight back. I am getting to the point where I am tired of taking these rude comments and saying nothing. Now mind you, I may be rude sometimes also, but I do try hard to not bring up gay issues around her out of consideration. I hate the fights so much but I don't want to just let her get away with saying these things. Ok so here's my question:
    Should I just not say anything to avoid the fight? Or should I not let her get away with saying things purposefully offensive? (&&&)

2. Lacri

Lacri Guest

Oh by the way, lol. I must have clicked those smiley faces by acccident. Doesn't really go with my question. Oops!

3. I applaud you for not being purposely confrontational. Personally, I would fight back. You aren't doing anything to bring the subject up to her out of consideration, she should show that same consideration. When she's being rude to you you deserve the right to defend yourself because you aren't doing anything wrong.

4. ArcaneVerse

Well i think your right to be offended and if it was me i wouldn't just ignore it. Id say something back but don't stoop to her level be mature about it.

say something like "Please stop making those hurtful comments you may not agree with me being gay but im still your son and your words are offensive and they upset me"

5. Sam

Sam

Well I have fought back with my dad because I'm not going to listen to him bad mouth me and make rude comments and just take it, not when I'm at a point now where I'm really happy with who I am and I am not ashamed to be me and I will not let somebody put me down without telling them what I think.

So if I were you I would stand up for myself (but not at a possible cost of injury or getting kicked out of your house)

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I think you can stand your ground and say something without being disrespectul and trying to start a fight. You just need to use "I feel...." statements and talk in a calm voice.

7. Chaz

Honestly, fighting parents is pointless. They've established their beliefs and more than likely wont change if they want to argue with you about them : /

8. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You have every right to feel offended if your mother is being as rude as she sounds like. Just try to stay calm and not get too aggressive, and if she still doesn't ease up, bring a third party into it. A friend to give support, a counselor for more professional advice, or even just the members here.

9. Mickey

Awesome response!:eusa_clap

10. Lacri

Lacri Guest

OK, thanks guys. I'll definetley try some of these suggestions next time she does it. It feels nice to have people understand what its like for me, so many others have no clue what it is like.

11. ArcaneVerse

Thats what were here for (*hug*)

12. Louise

I don't think we should ever let something offensive pass. I think you have the right to say, very calmly, 'gosh that is very offensive' or simply 'Why would you say something like that when you know it offends me?' or 'Do you realise how offensive that is?' If you don't get an answer to your question ask it again.

If everytime your mother is offensive she gets a calm cold reaction and you question why she is being rude this will soon bring her up and make her think about what she is saying.

13. Tofu Babi

Tofu Babi Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As others have said, fighting with your parents is mainly pointless. If I were you I'd get someone at school or a close friend to talk with you about your problems. I would also tell your mom how badly it hurts when she says such things and tell her your the same person but seeing yourself with a human of diffrent sexuality. I don't understand most straight people becuase they dont have feelings for people who care for diffrent types of people.

Tofu