1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Coming Out' without emotions...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Haim, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Haim

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, I feel really shy posting this.

I am a very private person. I have never ever felt comfortable discussing my love life/dates etc with anyone but my closest friends, and definitely not my family. I also have a hard time talking about emotions/feelings with anyone but a couple of really close friends, I came out to these friends this year and it went really well.

BUT I am scared about coming out to my parents, as I don't want to have to discuss it with them. I just want to tell them and have them not ask questions. My mum also has some mental health issues and I'm worried coming out might affect her badly. Because of this I'm seriously considering coming out to them via a nicely worded quite long text message. My parents know I'm private and don't like discussing things with them... So I'm wondering if they'll take ok that way, knowing it's how I would be comfortable?

I just want to get it over with but I'm terrified. Even as I sit here I'm composing a message that I know I won't send (again) or mentally preparing for a conversation I know I will chicken out of (again).

2. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello and welcome , congrats on being able to tell your friends ,hardest part is admitting to your self then telling that first person. I would not ever tell you to rush right out and tell you parents , you will tell them when you are ready to .You can tell them how ever you are comfortable some people just say it some write emails ,or even letters ,a text works too it is all up to you and how you feel safe doing it . I do not know how they will react at all but know this we are here to talk if you need us so please do not feel that you have no one that understands because we do!! Thanks for including us in this coming out and I wish you all the best of luck my new friend

3. CrazyAwkward

Hello :slight_smile:

If you think coming out by text is the best way for you, then I'd go with that when you're ready. Coming out is a very personal thing, and you should do it in a way that makes you feel as comfortable as possible. Since your parents know you're a private person I'm sure they'd understand why you'd choose to do it that way. And if you're worried about your mom maybe (when you're ready) you can send the text when you know your parents are home together. That way she'll have someone there to talk to if she needs to.

4. girlpower

Hey! congrats on your decision of coming out to your parents. texting/email sounds a good idea when you dont feel ready for that face-to-face situation. but i'd suggest be prepared for the unexpected reaction or questions, which is very normal and you should answer everything with utmost patience. just remember just like us, our parents deserve sometime too to digest the fact and come to terms with it. eventually they'l understand.. you just have to be little patient with them. good luck!

5. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think these guys give excellent advice. My advice would be to not rush in when telling your parents, make sure the time is right for you - and if they time is right, there's nothing wrong with a text message, letter or whatever you feel comfortable with.

I think when we come out to our family, we all wish there wouldn't be any follow up questions but unfortunately there usually are! It's not always a bad thing, sometimes they just want to understand how and why we feel what we do. I think you may have to prepare yourself for a few questions, but I don't think you'll have to say too much about your private life. Maybe even tell them in the message that you're not ready to discuss it just yet, you just wanted them to know. Remember, it's your life and you can reveal as much or as little as you want.

I hope it goes well for you, trust me I've been in the same boat and know how difficult it can be!

6. Hell2theno

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Write the email, maybe with the help of the Internet, as you could get a template.

Then set a date. You have to stick to it, unless something tragic has happened.

Send the text. Trust me this way will work. I haven't come out yet and I won't for awhile until I am comfortable, but I think this is a good way for me and a few other people I have heard about.

If the text isn't something you feel comfortable with in the last minute before you send and prefer to speak it; then speak it and tell them you thought it was best to tell them face to face.

Remember that even if they have a bad reaction, they aren't the only people in the world you need to 'impress'.

Be yourself, no matter what.

Good luck!

7. Haim

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the replies everyone, it's given me some things to think about.

I'll check in if I have anymore questions and keep you updated if I have any news to tell.

8. Haim

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I came out on the 21st to my parents. I ended up telling them in person just before they went for a weekend away. My dad was so awesome, just said it didn't matter to him and he wanted me to be happy. My mum seemed a little upset but gave me a hug before she left.

When I spoke to my brother on the phone a couple of days later, he told me he was proud of me and happy for me.

And since then nothing has changed and the world has gone on as normal :grin:

9. Really

Congrats! Do you mind sharing how you did it and what you said? I'm also interested in a non-emotional conversation. (Only if you don't mind.)

10. Haim

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Really, Sorry for the slow reply!

I am not really someone who is into big scenes or emotions and my family knows this. I just said to them I need to tell you something but I don't want you to ask any questions or say anything. Then I told them, my mum was upset I think but respected my request and didn't really ask anything.

We haven't really discussed it any further. Other than my mum asking if she could tell my aunties etc (which was a no).

11. Jerry36

It sounds stupid but exercising before telling something stressful may help you...it made me keep my cool...well, sort of

12. Eli98

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm glad it went well for you :grin: congratulations!

I wish my parents were like yours. I don't like emotional and long conversations either but my parents are so... I don't know how describe it, but they can't see that I shy away from all the emotional stuff so when I tell them I'm so not looking forward to it (that is if I actually come round to telling them at all.)

13. Really

Thanks for sharing.
    I did wonder about whether my mom would want to share this new "info" but can't decide if I care or not. I think I'd like her to keep it to herself for a bit while I calmed down from the experience but then don't think I'd care if she told people. Because then I wouldn't have to! Ha.

14. Haim

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That was my initial reaction too. But my dad warned me mum would ask me about telling other people and reminded me "once it's out you can't take it back", so I figure there is no rush to tell my extended family. My dad is super awesome about it, his mum, my grandma is quite conservative (freaked out about engaged cousin moving in with his fiancée a month before the wedding) abd he thinks it would be super funny to tell her and see her freak out... I wouldn't of course but imagining her reaction is funny.

#14 Haim, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  15. MissBookworm

MissBookworm Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    The first person I came out to was a friend, by text. I think that if you aren't comfortable coming out to your family in person, try 'practicing' on a friend you can trust. Coming out to close family, especially your parents, by text can send off the wrong vibe.

16. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Congratulations!!! I figured you would get the emotional reaction no matter what, so I am really happy for you that it all worked out the way that you were hoping it would.

17. Really

That's true. I guess because my grandparents are gone and none of my family is conservative, that I know of, and if they were I wouldn't care what they thought, I'm less concerned that I might be if my extended family found out. I actually have a 2nd cousin who came out a year or so ago so I guess people should be used to it. Although, he's a guy and for some reason I think people handle that better than if you're a girl. (I may be imagining that.) And I'm a bunch older than him so that's one more things they can think I'm weird about - as if there wasn't enough reason.

#17 Really, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  18. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I think that people react differently, but not better; and with similar intensity whether it is a guy or a girl. I don't think those who react negatively with one give the other a pass. A lot of times, I think, it's because they are imaging what they think we do, and it grosses them out! :roflmao: In my case, what they're imaging is probably correct, but if they thought about what a lot of other guys do, they would really be freaked out! :lol: For most of us, L's, G's, B's, T's, Q's and all the others, male, female, or somewhere in between or beyond, it is tough to do. So I am always both impressed, encouraged, and filled with joy every time I read a story like Haim's that has SUCH a happy ending. :eusa_clap It really touches my heart deeply :tears:

#18 Wildside, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2014
  19. Haim

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks Wildside it's so nice to hear that my story touched you so much :icon_bigg It's still not a super comfortable issue to discuss with my parents, but at least I know they know.

I kind of agree with you Really, maybe it's just cause I'm a girl and more sensitive to the issue, but I feel there is a bit more stigma in my family about gay women than gay men. I think most people in my social circles don't have much exposure to gay women and think they are all the butch lesbian stereotype. Especially since I'm femme, I'm sure that I'll hear "It's just a phase" or "You just need the right man" before I'm finished coming out.:tantrum:

20. Wildside

Wildside Guest

it reminds me of what one economist joked about the difference between an economic recession and a great depression. He said that an recession is when your neighbor loses her job. a depression, on the other hand, is when you lose your job! :lol: same thing about stigma and coming out, when it's you (when it me!) it's always a lot tougher. I am EXTREMELY sensitive. Is it because I'm a gay man? Is it because I have had to always be sensitive to everyone so that I would know how to act, to pass? or is it because I'm me? I don't know the answers, but I agree with you that it is tough. And those comments that don't recognize the truth that we are coming to terms with, but rather try to dismiss it with platitudes is really frustrating! I join you in your tantrum! :tantrum: