1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to come out to my best friend.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ForNarnia, Oct 25, 2014.

1. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My best friend is literally the best thing in my life. She is absolutely amazing, she picks me up when I get down, she's always there for me and she is brilliant. Recently, I've been wanting to come out as pansexual. I have a few male friends who I would gladly come out to right this second, but I want my best friend to be the first to know. From what I've heard from her before, she is perfectly fine with having friends who aren't straight, but she would feel uncomfortable knowing that she has had sleepovers etc with them. I just want to be able to tell her, and to still be able to have sleepovers, and go to parties together. I want to still be her best friend, but I think she will want to distance herself from me if I tell her.

I also think my other female friends may be uncomfortable with me if we ever had sleepovers etc, but my main concern is my best friend. I do not now, and have not ever felt attraction towards my female friends, and I don't want them to assume that just because I can be attracted to girls, that I am therefore attracted to them :/

2. First of all, I'm proud that you want to come out to your best friend. I think it's a good thing to tell her first, because she sounds accepting and you seem to be comfortable around her.
    Your best friend -and other female friends- might be uncomfortable at first. But I think you can easily take that feeling away by being honest and open. If you tell them you've never felt anything for them, and still don't, they will most likely understand. If it's still an uncomfortable situation, you just need to give it some time.
    I wish you a lot of luck and I hope you won't feel too uncomfortable afterwards.
    You can do it!
    (Keep us updated how it went after you came out to her, I would like to know.)

3. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the poster above speaks a lot of sense. Just be honest with your friends, and tell them you're not attracted to them. Your best friend thinks she'd feel uncomfortable but she's not talking from experience and she might find that she doesn't that way when it comes to her best friend. If you're as close as you say you are, she shouldn't distance herself from you. You can never second guess how people are going to react, you might be surprised, in a good way! I hope it goes okay, I know how nerve wracking it can be.

4. Nelly4

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out to my best friend was difficult for me too. We were both 16 years old and had been friends for a couple of years and instantly hit it off, she is basically a female version of me :lol:
    It was more difficult because I knew she had feelings for me, and I kinda had feelings for her too. If I was straight she would have been the perfect woman for me :lol: when I eventually came out to her, she said she was surprised, but not shocked. Then she turned and said she loves me no matter who or what I am. Since then our relationship has grown even stronger than I thought it ever could, I was even going to be her maid of honour at her wedding, if it weren't for her husbands extremely religious family :dry::lol:

I guess the point it, best friends can really surprise you, and coming out to them and being honest about yourself can make a friendship even stronger :icon_bigg

Hope this helps (*hug*)

5. ForeverYoung000

Hey Narnia,

I LOVE your out status which made me laugh. Also, made my day :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Anywhooo, my advice to you is to time. Time is Everything. Use it wisely. Whenever you feel your ready, is when you should tell them. If they accept you open arms then that's just fantastic!!! Best of luck Hun. - Esther. (!)(!)(!)<< Baeee

#5 ForeverYoung000, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  6. DragKing69

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I feel you. I came out to my really good friends last year, and my friends were super cool with that. In fact, I told my best friend first, and her response was, "So?" I was surprised that she didn't ask anything about it, and later on she texted me to say sorry if she sounded mean at lunch! I was really glad I did it. So go ahead! Hips don't lie, and neither should you.
    YourFriend,
    B