1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out when I don't know her views

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by NerdyGayWitch, Oct 26, 2014.

1. NerdyGayWitch

Hi everyone,
    I'm working on coming out to a couple of friends, but there is one I have to this conversation delicately with. We get along well- sometimes I think we might even have a little chemistry. But she is a Jehovah's witness and from a slightly different cultural background, so I have no idea how she might take it. I'm trying to think of a way to bring up the subject of lgbt stuff to get her opinion of it before outing myself to her. So I don't want to just ask "hey what do you think of lesbians" because that might be too forward, too obvious, might out me before I'm ready. Any suggestions?

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How about asking her views on the legalization of gay marriage in Pennsylvania which occurred in your state earlier this year? That can open the discussion to help you see how she reacts.

3. NerdyGayWitch

Thanks- I'll do something similar, I think. I'll mention how, where we work, men always flirt with me. I'll ask her if men flirt with her too, and ask if any women have ever flirted with her... And I'll see where the conversation goes from there.

4. greenunicorn

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Are you into fandoms and shipping? Because how I do this is try to get into a conversation about which ships we ship and then bringing up what about those two female characters what about them two together and seeing how they react.

5. NerdyGayWitch

Not a bad idea on the shipping- I'm a little into that, but she isn't so I don't talk about it with her.

I asked her today, "men hit on you on a regular basis, right? Do women ever hit on you?" So that was how I was able to segue into that conversation, and find out that she is not supportive of lgbt rights, she's straight, and she thinks it's a choice.... All without outing myself. Yeah the closet is my friend. Definitely staying there. :frowning2: It's kind of upsetting because otherwise we're friends and talk about other stuff, but... At least now I know that coming out could really destroy this friendship. :frowning2: