1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A surprising reaction to coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Justinian20, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Justinian20

I came out to my mother yesterday and she didn't take it negatively nor positively, it's sort of weird when I think about. It took a load off me and I felt like she didn't really understand what gay is because she believes you have to fit the stereotype of a flamboyant diva when you're gay. But the reaction wasn't even negative should I try and explain it to her or just leave it all alone. I'm really confused about it. It kinda made me question myself again, I was fine before it and now she's got me thinking I'm in a phase of my young adult life all because I don't fit a stupid stereotype. To be honest though I expected this from her because she always talks of gay people like a stereotype. I don't know how to deal with that. Should I try and help them understand or should I just come out to some of my more understanding friends.

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, congrats on coming out. A neutral reaction is a good reaction!

Let her digest it for a bit, then subtly help her understand how the gay community is significantly larger than the stereotypes projected. This will not be a quick discussion, but an evolution of her views over an extended period of time. She needs to maybe read some books, watch some movies or shows without the stereotypes, meet your friends over time. This will not happen over night. Take your time and let her take hers as well.

Good Luck!

3. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congrats way to go !!!!! I would give her some time to process it all . They if after a little while she is not getting you may have to explain but that's my opinion

4. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you'll have to give her a bit of time to move past what she thinks gay people should act like. That's just because she doesn't know that many gay people. You might actually a be a big part of changing her mind - showing her that all gay people don't act a certain way. Maybe she'll even do her own research and find that out herself. You can try and help her understand if you feel able, though my advice would to just let it sink in a bit. At least you didn't get a negative reaction, so I think she will come around to your way of thinking in time. :slight_smile:

It's fine to still question yourself, there's nothing wrong with that, but don't take what your mom said to heart. There are so many gay people out there in the world, and they all act differently. Very few of the gay people I know fit the gay stereotype. It really isn't that common.

Congratulations on being brave, Justinian! :slight_smile:

5. antibinary

Give her time to chew on it, then tell her (less bluntly than I would) that the LGBT community is more than the stereotypes.