1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm a big chicken

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Haddz, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Haddz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've been a member for a while and said I would come come out and never did.
    I'm scared. I tried many times and the words just would not come out. My mind was just flooded with "What If's". I want to be free..

I'm afraid I'll push away someone I love because I'm not strong enough
    (nobody current FYI Future)

#1 Haddz, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  2. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you tried writing a letter? It could help you organize what you want to say, and at the same time help you gain courage by reading it to yourself when youre alone

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Everybody comes out in their own time. It is totally okay if you haven't come out yet, and it is also totally fine to be scared. Coming out to others, is not easy. (*hug*)

You will know when you are ready. What could help is saying out loud to yourself that you want to come out. While you are listening to the words you are saying, try to gauge how you feel on the inside. The way you feel, will tell you whether or not you are ready to let someone know.

As 'love don't judge' has mentioned, what could also help is to write out your thoughts. I wouldn't write a letter just yet (I'd suggest to leave it until you are ready to come out to someone) but writing down your general thoughts on coming out could help in lessening some of the fears.

Do you feel that the persons to whom you would like to come out to, would be supportive and accepting?

4. tyuiop97

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi :slight_smile: I know how you feel! Our ages may be different, but I have definitely been in your position. You seem to really want to come out but to be honest, I'm not sure if you're ready (correct me if I'm wrong). Taking that first step can be so, so hard but once it's been done, it can feel so rewarding. If you are really craving to get it out there, and really think you're ready, you can always start slow. Do you have any close friends or family members you can talk to? Start by choosing one or two of those people to confide in. From there, you can continue to expand this circle and decide what route you want to take. Go one step at a time. I wish you all the best :slight_smile:

5. Blossom85

Don't feel scared.. And don't feel ashamed of not coming out even though you said you wanted to.. Everyone comes out in their own time and you just need to allow yourself to come out when you are ready. To put too much pressure on yourself, you will know when it is time for you.. ~hugs~

6. niceguy44

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey! I'm 44, and I just came out now! Lol. I may have come to the party late, but I'm here!

As Shakespeare once wrote, "our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."

7. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm almost your age, and haven't completely come out either. I've come out to friends and family, but not to my employer yet. In my state you can be fired for being gay or lesbian.