1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my very conservative family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by keypooh90, Oct 29, 2014.

1. keypooh90

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm 24 but I still live at home and I'm bisexual. I'll only be living at home until February and then I'm moving out of state. I've come out to my best friend, my other super close friends, and 2 other friends. They all took it really well and are very supportive and caring and open. I'm not really certain on what my aunt/uncle's view point is on LGBTQA issues. I think they are fairly conservative however. I do know that my grandmother is EXTREMELY CONSERVATIVE. Her opinion of one of my best friends completely changed when she found out that he was gay and I'm terrified of her opinion of me changing because of this.

Anyone have advice?

2. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    The only advice I can give is that you can't let other people's opinions of you control your life. I have allowed that to happen for way too long.

3. Jrk

Jrk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't allow the opinions of others to rule your life, all you can do is tell them, then the balls in their court.

4. Jrk

Jrk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't allow the opinions of others to rule your life, all you can do is tell them, then the balls in their court.

5. Jrk

Jrk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

6. keypooh90

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks for the advice! I'm getting more nervous as it gets closer. I'm doing this Saturday night.

7. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  8. keypooh90

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well, I came out to my nana and it didn't go too well at all. I started out subtly by asking her "if you knew someone who was gay, lesbian or bisexual how would you react?" And she went on to say well we don't know why those things happen to good people...and then she said I guess I would still try to accept them even though it's a sin. And then she said, who are you talking about? and I said, "Me. I've always been into girls and guys. I could see myself dating and being with either sex. " And she told me, "Well you only think you're into girls..you really aren't, it's just that you have been rejected by guys so you use/view girls as a replacement, which isn't even close to true. She never once said I accept you or I still love you. And that hurt. Overall it was just a really awkward and uncomfortable conversation.

9. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Those words are exactly what my parents said, and I don't blame them. The idea of gay/bisexual didn't shock them; the fact that I was in fact gay/bisexual is what startled them. Then again my parents weren't knowledgeable of "how do you know if you're gay/bisexual" so my explanation of it was enough to convince them a little more.

I think how your aunt reacted is reasonable, since I don't think she saw that coming. The way she associated bisexual people is what startled her, like "oh you're a good person, you can't be bisexual." I think in the end she'll see LGBT in a new light, and you can be the one to show her the way.

10. keypooh90

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks! That was actually my grandmother's reaction. I'm telling my aunt/uncle tomorrow. I did come out to a close friend and that did not go well at all. She had your typical bigoted Southern Baptist view point. She told me she looks at this as a choice and something that I need to "work through and get rid of." She went on to tell me how it was a sin and she's sending me Bible verses to read. It left me feeling stung and upset.

11. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am so sorry this is happing to you ,I know what you are going threw I just came out my self and it went badly! I don t know what to say can help you out other than we are here for you please feel free to talk to me if you ever need to I am a great listner :slight_smile: . Have a great day

12. keypooh90

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well I came out to my aunt last night and she told me she doesn't think this is a real thing and that it's just a phase and something I'm experimenting with. I explained that I know this is really who I am and she didn't seem to get it.