1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still so afraid.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ForNarnia, Oct 29, 2014.

1. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I posted earlier about wanting to come out to my best friend. Does anyone else get this horrible feeling, like the worst things imaginable will happen?

I'm measuring my time like 'just one more birthday, and I'll tell her'.
    That turns into 'one more Christmas'
    Then 'one more summer.'
    I'm treating it like I'm dying, like when I come out, that's it, I'll never see her again and she'll hate me.
    And then I don't even know where to tell her. Schools too crowded and impersonal, so is town, and I don't want to tell her when I'm at her house or vice versa because that's where we have sleepovers and I don't want her to think that every sleepover we've had, I've been pan and checking her out or something when I haven't.

So, basically I just wanted to know, is this normal?

2. greenunicorn

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think it is normal to be scared of coming out. I was terrified of coming out to anyone even the people I was 100% sure would be fine with it.
    As for where to come out, you could text her or tell her over the phone but if that's too impersonal you could go on a walk and then tell her. Are there any walking trails around where you live? Or you could tell her while walking home from school if there's not to many people around. You could also tell her you need to talk to her and meet somewhere private like in a library or something.
    You can do it you're a dragon rah :slight_smile: (That is me trying to be encouraging)

3. Derivative

Derivative Guest

It's perfectly normal to be afraid, coming out to someone is a scary concept. If your friend is a true friend she'll accept you, regardless of your sexual orientation.

All the best.

4. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You just fear the change so you're making it something bigger than what it has to be. It's really easy to get worked up about coming out when you've never really done it before. Trust me, start the process and in a little time, you'll become so comfortable with the idea that you'll wonder what took you so long or what you were so afraid of.

Just because you think the worst will happen doesn't mean that it will. For the most part, people will be accepting of your sexuality. Think of coming out as you telling the world that you're gonna be who you are without apologizing for it. If you come out to her and she hates you, that's her prerogative, not yours.

5. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel your pain :frowning2: I just came out my self and I 40

6. missmercury

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi. I have only told about 5 close friends and that went fine because I know I can trust them and also most of them are gay also! I am terrified of telling my family. I don't think I will for at least another year until I am comfortable with it myself. I know how you're feeling but I keep trying to remind myself that if anyone was upset with me then why are they even worth having around :slight_smile:

7. niceguy44

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heck yeah, it is!:icon_bigg

I had the same exact feelings about telling one of my best friends two days ago; I was so worried about losing her friendship. Once I'd told her, she askedin what universe did we live in where she wouldn't accept that. In the end, I made my own worst nightmares in my ow head. she actually asked me if anyone else had known as yet. & I told her no she started crying and said that she was on her that she had been the first to be told.

Is this person is truly is dear friend as you say they are, they're going to accept you for what you are/who you are have faith in that. Put all those bad thoughts aside.

Being able to tell my friend gave me the confidence that I can be able to tell others. Plus, I know I have one great friend on my side willing to support me. I'm sure you'll find the same!

Let us know how it goes!:thumbsup:

8. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It would be really easy for me to come out to my male friends, but I need her to know first :/ Otherwise, I'd have started coming out ages ago. Thank you guys :slight_smile: xxxx

9. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Please know that we are here for you ! I feel your pain I was scared to death that the world was going to end I am still scared I fear change and this is great big change for me . I am here if you need to talk