1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Took the first step..and tge Earth didn't shatter!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by niceguy44, Oct 29, 2014.

1. niceguy44

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I took the first step in coming out of the closet, and I told a very dear friend of mine about being gay. I have told her that I'd known probably since I was 13. I was really worried about telling her. She responded that all she ever wanted was for me to be happy. When I told her that she was the first person I come out to she started crying. She said she was honored that I'd chosen her to be the first person.give me courage just saying that it may not be as bad as I thought. I know it's still going to be a difficult road. But, I'm a little bit more confident now in myself.

Now I'm just trying to muster the strength and courage to tell my parents. Anyone have any advice?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Welcome to Empty Closets! Congratulations on coming out to your friend. It's fantastic that you were able to confide in her and let her know. It sounds like she a great friend. Well done. :slight_smile:

Glad to read that coming out has given you a confidence boost. I would suggest that you continue coming out to friends for now which will allow you to continue building your support network and become more comfortable with others knowing (and being out). The stronger your support network is, the 'easier' it is going to be to come out to your parents.

The timing of your coming out, will in large part depend on whether or not you feel your parents are supportive/understanding. It will also depend on when you feel ready. When you ask yourself 'am I ready to come out to my parents?' how do you feel?

3. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hell yeah! Good on you :slight_smile: It's great to hear she took it so well :grin: xx

4. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congratrs on coming out I am so happy for you !!

5. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mirko's advice is brilliant, there's not really a lot I can add to that apart from to say congratulations on being brave! :slight_smile: She seems like an excellent friend.

6. niceguy44

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, guys! Its great to have such an awesome source for support and advice (from all around the glone too!). My parents are kinda' liberal, but we're Polish (basically meaning set and stubborn in our ways). Just not sure they'll be accepting of this. Telling my friend though was a big step forward.

7. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, when I told my parents earlier this year, they each essentially in their own ways simply said "Really, tell me something I do not know?" Then provided their love and support (I actually think my mother had it scripted and was waiting for the day to read off the script).

8. niceguy44

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Truthfully, I'm expecting others to say the same about me.