1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do tell your very concervative religious family that your bisexual?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kkcc1934, Oct 30, 2014.

1. kkcc1934

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    My dad's side of the family is very religious and they think being gay, bisexual, or lesbians is a sin and your going to hell if you are any gay, bisexual, or lesbian. I have always voiced my opinion to them about gay rights, even if it posses them off. They are always saying that God says it is a sin and it's not right ect. My dad is always say homophbic words and it really bothers me to the point we're we have gotten into arguments over this. When we talked about it he said he would acept anyone of his daughters and grand Childeren if they were gay. I know he says this but because he says the homophbic words I'm afraid to tell him. How do u tell them this?

2. SpaceSuit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm afraid that there is really no way to know how someone is going to react until you come out, but the easiest way is to just tell them straight up. In situations such as yours where your parents are bigots and uneducated on gay/bi issues, it might be helpful to have a printed sheet of information for them to go over as they digest this information. Also, have a someone you trust who knows about your sexual orientation there with you. It might sound paranoid, but, in my experience, conservative religious family members can become unexpectedly violent when faced with something like this so just be safe. It sounds like they are really against any kind of lgbt activity or orientation, but sometimes people can surprise you and be accepting. (*hug*). I'm sorry if I don't have good advice. Stay strong.

3. kkcc1934

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    No that is very helpful thank u. I think having that information will help my dad understand my sexuality, and having someone with me with defiantly give me comfort. My mom is not like my dad she is very open she knows that in bisexual and she is very accepting of me and she loves me no matter who I want to be with.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm afraid it's very hard to get religious conservatives to see beyond the printed words of scripture, such is the level of their ignorance. The only way they have of understanding faith is through the literal interpration of those supposedly inerrant words. It's very frustrating but your Dad doesn't sound like the sort of person who is open to new ideas or ways of thinking.

It might be worth having this article to hand for your Dad though???

Christian pastor John Pavlovitz's pledge to embrace kids regardless of sexuality | Daily Mail Online

A link to the Pastor's blog is included in the article.