1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Via Technology

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Justinian20, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Justinian20

Is it okay to come out as gay using technology because whenever you tell yourself, you're gonna come out face to face, you never do because you find it too hard to do. And also you never really see your friends that often. I feel a lot more comfortable coming out via internet or email or other technology means.

Also I've always been worried about being seen as gay by other people that I don't know and that's why I prefer coming out via technology. I also can't seem to bring it up like when I try and say it my throat gets caught and I can't say anything. I also have low self confidence but when it comes to public speaking I'm really confident. So talking seriously about myself I have problems with that in face to face situations.

All this is very relevant to the main question, which is, is it okay to come out to people using emails, facebook messages and text messages(things like that). Take into account I'm not very self-confident, if you're going to suggest that I should come out face to face.

A brilliant example of this in high school, grade 10 I wasn't confident enough to ask a guy to be my friend and so I wrote it down in a letter to give to him. That thing basically turned me into a weirdo though and I don't even feel comfortable with that anymore.

2. bi2me

I think you should do what works for you. I probably would lean more towards a video or email so you can include all your thoughts rather than a text for social media update, but that might just be me.

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whatever your feel comfortable with works. I have used all mediums. That's what they are there for, to communicate.

4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Make yourself a script for a video, then record it, not reading the script, but using it to prompt yourself as you talk to the camera. Then send it to the people you want to come out to, or give them selective access to it on Facebook by categorizing them as "close friends" or something giving them access to it there, or to a URL to a private video of it you have posted on YouTube. Then, any time you want to come out to a new person, you can send them to the video, without having to deal with them face to face until they have heard everything you want to say to them about coming out to them.

5. niceguy44

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I came out to my friends, I'd sent them text messages. Trying to get face-to-face, or even talk on the the phone proved to be impossible. I always followed it up with an offer to meet to discuss it further, if they wanted.

6. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello , I want to say you do what is comfprtable to you .It will be easier that way in the long run. What ever you decide to do I wish you the best of luck my new friend !

7. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's fine to come out through the Internet/an electronic device. Whatever works best for you. :slight_smile: It's more comfortable to do it that way, I agree.

8. RainbowMan

Do whatever is comfortable for you - I came out to a lot of people "via technology" and a lot not via technology - for me, saying it got easier with time, and now I just slip it into casual conversation. Perhaps you'll have that experience as well :slight_smile: