1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'd Like to Come Out to My Friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tardis2020, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Tardis2020

I'd like to come out through a text because I'm kind of socially awkward. How exactly do I go about this?
    I'm 99% sure he wouldn't care and I'm a 14 year old freshman, I don't "act gay" and I'm not out at all at school.

2. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That is a great question ! Well there are so many different ways ,some people just come out and say it some test the water and say things like what do you think about homosexuals or I am gay and if they freak say I am just kidding some even right letters that way they can either mail it to who ever they are trying to tell or just hand it to them .It is all up to you and I would take you have the rest of you life ahead of you . Have a great day

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you say you do not "act gay", I assume you mean you do not act like the stereotypical character often presented on TV and Films, given what is portrayed in the media (although it is now actually starting to get better), is only a subset of the LGBT community, right?

That said, it's great to hear your at a point where you want to share the news, congrats! How you do it is a choice for you. And if a text is your chosen approach, then so be it.

How about something like "[friend name], any chance you saw the news today that Tim Cook, the CEO of Apple, has come out of the closet and publicly stated that he is gay? How cool is that? Oh, and given your my good friend, I thought this would be a good time to tell you that I am as well. Let's catch up."

Obviously use your words, but you get the idea. Thoughts?

4. Tardis2020

Yeah I mean I don't fit the stereotype. I know its just a stereotype and not all gays are like that, especially considering I'm not like that.
    Thanks for the advice I'll probably start a conversation that way.

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The point is that the stereotype, or the notion that a TV stereotype has anything to do with reality, is the problem. You are YOU, just as you already are to him You are just telling them that you will be interested in dating other gay boys in the future instead of girls is all you are telling him, so that is what you need to say. Since you want to initiate this conversation with him, you can start out by telling him that you have something you want to talk to him about which you would like to keep private between the two of you for now, and ask him if he would be willing to keep silent about it. Assuming he says yes, then you just write the text and tell him that you are more interested in boys than girls, and you want him to know because you consider him to be your friend and you want to be honest with him so it doesn't catch him by surprise later if you come out to everybody. Something like that. You don't have to say "I am gay" in so many words, unless you want to. Then you will probably have to answer a few questions he might ask, so think about them ahead of time, and what you want to say to him about it. (Are you interested in ME? Do you have a boyfriend? Have you had sex with another guy? Do your parents know? Who else knows? etc etc).