1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Proving It?"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SittinInTheDark, Nov 1, 2014.

1. SittinInTheDark

Right Now: Minneapolis llll Usually: New York City
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel like, to be able to come out to my dad, I have to have some kind of proof. When I dealt with depression, he blamed it on my period, and later, when it persisted, he told me to just "stop it".

I feel like, for him to think I am not just asking for attention, I have to have had some kind of experience with a woman, or at least a crush on a particular woman. I have had neither- I just kinda know, you know?

I dunno. My mom already kinda knows, but I specifically said that I was going to try somethings in college so I could see. I dunno.

Advice?

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

You don't have to have sexual contact to know you're gay (but if you want to- more power to you). I think It's mostly just a heterosexist assumption because people seem to want someone to be straight and won't believe it otherwise. I've heard of lesbians being told that 'they can't know unless they try a guy' and then when they do try it with a guy they get told 'well it wasn't the RIGHT guy' or 'you're not a lesbian now because you had sex with a man'. It's bullshit. So in a way, proving it might not even sway him.

3. SittinInTheDark

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm bi, but thank you.

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Oh, I know, It's just an example of how it affects both. Most bi girls get the same example, and if they're with men it's the only thing that really counts or matters sadly. Most people don't take female sexuality seriously.

5. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a tricky one. Personally, I'm not a believer in going looking for 'proof' of your sexuality. As corny as it sounds, I believe in following your heart when it comes to these things.

I get where you're coming from: you want to have some experiences with a woman, so you can say for sure to your dad that it's the real deal. My concern is that your main reason for doing this isn't actually for yourself - you say you already know deep down that you like women - it's for your dad. I wouldn't rush into anything in order to prove something to him, or anyone else! Bear in mind, when it came to your depression he wasn't exactly believing or supportive, even when I assume he had 'evidence', so there's no guarantee he will except your 'proof' even if you present it to him.

Don't get me wrong, I really hope your dad does accept what you tell him and support you - if he loves you, I'm sure he will! My point is justifying yourself to him is putting a lot of unnecessary pressure on yourself. You know yourself better than anyone else possibly could. You can only tell other people how you feel, unfortunately you can't control whether they believe it or not. Trust your own feelings, is my advice! :slight_smile:

6. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Its is good that you want to come out I don't think that you need proof but I understand that you would feel better if you had some . I wish you all the best of luck

7. SittinInTheDark

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, this was nice.

---------- Post added 1st Nov 2014 at 10:39 PM ----------

Thank you. That was nice.(*hug*)