1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Im petrified of joing a lgbt group

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rueni, Nov 2, 2014.

1. rueni

rueni Guest

I am trying to accept myself as a bisexual after 6 years of stressing out about it.
    But I am scared that if I join an lgbt group for support... that they will hate me for being bisexual.

I'm scared that they won't think my feelings are real, I'm sick of being wrong to everybody.
    I know how I feel... I just can't express it because I am so terrified of the backlash. I don't know.. people around here are accepting of gays and lesbians and transgenders... but they despise bisexuals/pansexuals. They don't believe that they exist. On this website everybody is accepting of everybody.. but that's not how my town is. I am scared of them hating on me.. But I want friends that can relate.... I don't know. Maybe I'm just overthinking, maybe they will be super sweet.

I just don't want to be the only bisexual there. I haven't even told anybody yet, you know?

I don't know which steps to take.

#1 rueni, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2014
  2. Burnedcloset

I'm not one to talk but, I think a lgbt group would be supportive and open minded. :slight_smile:

3. Really

Would you be comfortable going without a label until you see what feeling you get from the group? I can't believe people who are there specifically to get support would sling mud and I suspect it wouldn't be tolerated for very long if they did.

If you want to go, go. See how things unfold. Maybe you'll discover other bisexuals and realize they're accepted just fine.

If anyone should ask point blank (although I can't see that happening), you could just say, "Well, I'm not straight." With a jaunty wink.

4. NaomiB

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    What part of Chicago are you from?...Why would they be accepting of lesbians, gays, and transgender, trans* people and not bisexual, pansexual people...that's weird. If you are referring to the whole town of Chicago that's definitely not true... but maybe a majority of people you see and interact with around the specific area of Chicago you live? Still sounds weird though...not referring to you...just referring to what you said that someone would be accepting of lesbians, gays, and trans people but not bisexual and pansexuals...that seems like a weird state of mind. Well have good day rueni and good luck with the lgbt group if you decide to go!

5. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first time I went to my LGBT support group (for gay married men) I was super scared :eusa_sick
    I found the group to be very supportive (&&&) and I've made new friends (!)
    Anyone that rejects you is a horrible person and you are better of without them
    :goodluck:

6. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find that identifying as bisexual is not really a problem and you can still identify with a lot of gay/lesbian people anyway. Don't worry about it, they can think what they want but you are what you are :slight_smile:
    If I can find bisexual girls and guys at my conservative high school, you can find bisexual people in the giant city of Chicago I promise

7. sofie

sofie Guest

I feel ya! I started questioning about 2 years ago and where I lived at the time there was no place or any lgbtq group so I never really had to think about meeting anyone.

Now, I just moved to a new city and here is a group for lgbtq. I was terrified but I joined. I went to a meeting today and even though there wasn't many people there I liked being able to just be myself. I think you'll find it supportive and just kinda like a "safe space" for yourself. Sexually didn't come up in over 2 hours of conversation, we just talked and hung out.

I obviously don't know how it is where you are but I don't really think you need to talk about your sexuality if you don't want to? Maybe just go and hang out/listen and whenever you feel comfortable you can bring up the subject?

Anyway, good luck, and I'm here if you want to talk :slight_smile: