1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard time coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by blondie1, Nov 2, 2014.

1. blondie1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So i am having such a difficult time coming out. I was totally prepared to come out to my mom today and i just couldn't do it! I felt like i was going to be sick. All day it was sitting on the edge of my tongue and i just couldn't spit it out. Every time i feel brave enough to tell someone its like i completely forget how to talk. Its silly, my mom is the sweetest person in the world and i really don't think she would have a problem with it, so are my friends but i cant seem to get past the panic. I'm 24 and I've completely accepted that i am a lesbian but i am having the hardest time getting to the next step. I was just wondering if anyone had some advice? maybe tell there experience with this. I would really appreciate it :slight_smile:

2. Tardis2020

My mom asked me if I was gay, so I can't say out of experience, but what I'll be doing with my dad is:

"-person's named- I need to talk to you."
    if they say ok, or yes, or something similar
    "-person's name- I'm -sexual orientation-"

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out is difficult. I'm sure many of us have experienced moments when our voice seems paralysed by fear, even when we know the other person to be warm and accepting. It's just a very hard thing to do.

Have you considered sending your Mom a really warm, heart felt coming out letter? You can write down all of your thoughts and feelings about your sexuality, ask for her support and remind her just how much you love her at the same time. I know some people dislike the idea, but if you sit down and put your mind to it you can really make your point with sincerity. Have a think about it.

If you want some inspiration, check out these letters, sent by other EC members: Empty Closets - Coming Out Letters

4. musicalturtle

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm going through the exact same thing, I know my mum will be fine with me being bi but I just don't know how to actually tell her or my dad. I think the time will come (for both of us) where the want to tell will overcome the feeling of muteness.

5. blondie1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the feed back :slight_smile: it definitely made me feel better about this. I read some of the letters and its something i might actually do. I think it might be easier for me to get it all out that way.

6. HugaPug

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Good luck blondie1. Those who really care about you will be accepting I'm sure.

My husband just came out to me two nights ago, and the most overriding emotion I felt was my love for him, and my need to be his best friend and confidante during this whole process. Your mum will likely react in a similar manner.

At 24 you have your whole life ahead of you, and a wonderful opportunity to be the real you. I look forward to hearing how you go.

7. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Hi there! :slight_smile: Why don't you try practicing in front of the mirror? It helps, because it makes you feel more confident and able to come out to your mother more gracefully. :slight_smile:

Wish you all the best! :slight_smile:

8. blondie1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey thanks again guys! Your feedback really helps. I have not tried practicing in a mirror, but that's not a bad idea, ill give it a shot:slight_smile: And thanks for telling me about your husband HugaPug. You seem like a really supportive person, he is lucky to have you. Hope all turns out for the both of you.