1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out trans to Catholic mother.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by leebug, Nov 2, 2014.

1. leebug

Out Status:
    Some people
    Any specific advice on approaching this? Stories?

My mother is a very loving person but her religion causes great grief. I am not afraid of being disowned or berated, I'm more afraid that she will become upset because she'll fear for my soul (I'm atheist, personally (so she already fears for it!)). She has a lot of health problems and I'm afraid of making it worse by stressing her out...but I really want to be out to my friends and family and feel it would be best to tell her first, out of respect.

Also I am considering my possible surgery options and would hate keeping that a secret from her because we're overall pretty close. She knows I identify as queer, but blew it off and told me I wasn't. I think she's just nervous and afraid.

It would be online in text most likely because this is how we mostly communicate, if that matters.

Thanks, everyone.

-Bug

2. DoriaN

I'm Christian myself, and while I am against the catholic doctrine, here are a few things that she might ponder.

-God created male and female, not male OR female.

-Intersex people exist, and are either neither fully male or female, or both.

-Chromosomes do not dictate gender. Genitals do not dictate gender. So what does? The brain.

-Some animals are homosexual, and some even switch sexes and gender roles. It's in nature, it's natural.

-"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male and female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.". Our physical body means squat when it's out heart that matters.

-"But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart."

-"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you"

-"Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law."

-"And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins."

-"Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins."

If she disowns you, I believe she would be committing a great sin. Condemnation of LGBT individuals has no Biblical basing, no more than condemning drunks or haughty Christians.
    Since we are all guilty of sin, and all equally saved by Jesus, we all equally rejoice and all equally partake of the kingdom. No one is better or more righteous than the other when all our righteousness is as filthy rags, and works will not save a person's soul. Otherwise we could buy our way by being goody two-shoes.
    A group a people tried this, they were the pharisees. They did everything in the Bible, but did not love, and we're counted as wicked. Since they missed the message. "I require mercy not sacrifice". People are ready to sacrifice rather than love.

Anyways I know you said you aren't religious, but here's some Christian stuff you can show or ask your catholic mother. Hope it helps for what it's worth.

3. leebug

Out Status:
    Some people
    DoriaN, that is some really helpful stuff, thank you.

I identify as genderneutral / non-binary and would ideally like my body to reflect that through removal of sex-specific features, my health permitting. I've tried explaining to her in the context of my genderqueer son how people are not even necessarily "just" male or female in terms of chromosomes but she seemed unable or unwilling to grasp that. I guess we'll see.

Thanks again, really appreciate it.

4. DoriaN