1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out by letter?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Images and Words, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Images and Words

At the moment, I should be revising for a maths exam I have tomorrow, but I have this on my mind, so I thought I'd ask you guys.
    As I can't get up enough confidence, should I come out to my parents (mostly mum, not to scared of my dad) through a note, or does this seem too distant?
    (*hug*)

2. MessieM

I came out to one of my friends through a letter... And cake.
    I basically... In the most cheesiest way possible... Baked her favourite cake and then wrote on it "Suprise! I'm Gay!" on it! I put it in a box and in the box underneath I wrote a letter basically explaining how much I love her and please don't hate me and just eat the cake because even if I am an evil homo I'm good enough to bake you food!!
    I put it in her school bag and then went home... The texts she sent me later where so hilariously confused! But then she called me and we had a good chat about it :slight_smile:

I appreciate that it is a lot different on your part as this is to your parents and a rather bigger deal, but Lucy from the YouTube couple kaelyn and Lucy came out to her parents by letter and she describes the benefits of it in her video :slight_smile:

Wishing you the best of luck

3. Images and Words

Thank you!
    I think I've watched every "coming out" video on youtube, but I can't remember that one.
    I think that's a good way of coming out, I can't bake, though. I could make my mum some beans on toast, with the beans in the shape "I'm Bi, Deal with it!" but I don't think that's classy enough!

4. iiimee

Hmm, I told my mom I wanted to be a boy, then explained the rest with a note I handed to her. I'm not sure if you'd want to do that, but that's a suggestion. I did it that way because I couldn't say the words, but I didn't want to be too distant. She sat down and had a talk with me later, and it was surprisingly a calm talk. I am actaully wanting to call my friend right now and tell her the good news...

5. Kenaria

I think it's a good idea, definitely a whole lot less nerve-racking than doing it in person! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: