1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bizarre Reaction to Coming Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by FirstInFlight, Nov 3, 2014.

1. FirstInFlight

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey guys. I'm new here, but I hope you don't mind me seeking a little guidance.

So on Saturday night while admittedly very drunk, I came out to pretty much everyone, and having seen most of them today no one has said anything at all. However, a close friend of mine was in the company of a girl to whom I opened up on Friday at the bus station this afternoon. I don't know this girl especially well, but we've been acquaintances for a few months and any interaction I've had with her has been pleasant. I thought she seemed kind, and she had nothing but words of encouragement on Saturday (as much of a blur as that night was).

My friend informed me that he was standing near her, and heard her talking to another friend about me. Among her choice words, he said she spoke of me being a "creep" and a "weirdo" for telling her I was gay on a night out "when we hardly talk or know each other at all otherwise". I know my friend very well and he would have no reason to lie about this. In fact, he was reluctant to volunteer the information, but admitted that she "aggressively tore me down".

I didn't expect to be as hurt by this as I am. I don't get it. Obviously I was drunk, so I didn't exactly care *who* I was telling, but coming out had been on my (sobre) mind for a while. She has been nothing but sweetness and light to me to my face, I have done nothing to her that could be considered offensive and, if anything, I've shown that I want her to know something very personal about me. I actually thought we could be friends.

I've considered talking to her about it and maybe apologising since she clearly felt uncomfortable, but I really don't get what I have to apologise for.

As it happens, the person with whom she was talking was another "friend" of mine, and apparently he was also especially critical of me, accusing me of attacking him verbally when the reverse is the case - he has, in fact, been picking arguments with me for some time.

I honestly feel like I can trust no one.

Advice?

2. Really

I think some people are truly two-faced. Not many but some. If you can "afford" to cut one or other them out of your life, you might be better off. At least for now.

I don't know how many people you came out to but they seem like a small percentage, no?

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    FIF, why even bother wasting another second of time or energy thinking about it? You do not know her, she is being petty in order to satisfy her own ego, and you have friends that did not miss a beat when you told them. Seems like you should ignore it and move on.

4. BiPenguin

You have the right to confront them for running you down behind your back. This is also a good time to find out who your friends really are.

5. james222

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I see no reason at all you should even consider apologising to her. If it was me I would just forget about it and not mention it. Now you know she is two faced and not your friend so I would not worry about it or even think about it again