1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just told my parents...now I wait...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by niceguy44, Nov 4, 2014.

1. niceguy44

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The last people on my list to tell I'm gay were my parents. I was really hoping to tell them in person this weekend, but now they're unavailable. I know this is terribly impersonal, but I really didn't want to wait anymore so I put my thoughts in an email to them. Now the hard pat..waiting for their decision. I love my parents more than anything. To lose that love would be a terrible agony.

I am so scared right now...

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Always the hardest people to tell niceguy. Do you have any idea what to expect, based on their usual worldview?

Hope you have a nice support network in place (including us). Sending lots of positive thoughts from afar. If you need to talk more, come back to this thread.
    (*hug*)

3. niceguy44

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Those that I've told that know my parents say they'll be fine with this, but I'm not as convinced. My parents are of a different generation, and they were raised in an atmosphere where such orientations were wholly unacceptable. But, I also know they love me a great deal.

I can see this going either way. Guess we'll just have to hope for the best and accept their decision, even if that decision works against me.

My friends thus far that know have given me nothing less than 100% of their total, unwaivering support. I'm fairly new to this site so I haven't had time to build a support network here I'm afraid. But everyone I've encountered have provided me with a great deal of support. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. I truly appreciate the support from Lincolnshire!

Fingers crossed!

4. Rainbow Kitty

That took a lot of guts to tell them. I'm wishing you the best from Georgia!

5. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi niceguy44

More support from Lincolnshire here.Lets just hope that they accept you for who you are.

Good luck

6. MN Writer

Just be ready for them to need some time to process and try not to take any initial reactions too much to heart. (advice given to me from my gender therapist about my decision to come out to my mom)

Some parents need awhile to process this kind of news and many of them have poor initial reactions that have more to do with themselves than with their children. Just be willing to give them time and understanding if they are confused or shocked, or even angry to start. And stand firm if they try to suggest that you are wrong or confused. Don't necessarily argue but don't waiver either. If they see how much you mean it, it will more likely sink in.

good luck

7. iiimee

Good luck! Don't expect a super awesome reaction, but just hope and know we here at EC have your back through all this!

8. StephenB

StephenB Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I truly hope they take it well. You are in my thoughts! Keep us posted :slight_smile:

9. BiPenguin

Hoping it all goes well for you.

10. niceguy44

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, folks, for the kind thoughts. Yesterday was the roughest day, to be sure, but ended on a great note. Thought I'd post my mom's response

I have always had this in the back of my mind and waited for you to come out of the closet, sort of speak.* I will always love you unconditionally.** I am happy for you, you have accomplished a lot of hurdles in your life.* You are my son and I accept you for what you are, gay or straight.* Thank you for telling me and remember you are my son that will never change.* It is difficult to come out and say these things, but you cannot go through life alone.* I an truly happy for you.* Love you alwaysYour understanding mother,*XOXO

My dad is cool with it too, in his own way. Couldn't have asked for better supoort.

11. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congrats, niceguy, wow, what a wonderful answer from your mom!

12. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well done.

I am very happy for you.

13. StephenB

StephenB Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's awesome :slight_smile: