1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ZestyLion, Nov 4, 2014.

1. ZestyLion

So I came out to my parents and sister over a year ago. Everything went great and they completely accepted it. Then, over the summer, I came out to a gay friend, and he helps give me advice and we talk a lot. Then, whenever people ask me who I like, I say I'm gay, which only has happened like five times.
    But now I'm faced wih a problem. I want to come out so bad, but whenever I get close the fear overwhelms me. I know they would be accepting of it, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Do any of you have any advice on what I should do?

2. iiimee

Hmmm, you're in a rough situation. If you really want to come out, don't always expect positive reactions from everyone k? Coming out is about showing people who you are, whether they like it or not, and not everyone is ready for that change. If you still feel you should, you can always practice telling somebody with a friend. Often they can help you by either coaching you through different reactions, or just standing there by you when you do it.
    When I came out to my mom, I literally could not say the words, so I wrote them on a piece of paper and gave them to her. Maybe you could carry around a notebook, or just try to boost your confidence? I've never been in your situation, and I don't know what's best for you. All I can tell you is good luck and hopefully I helped a little!

3. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I sweated before I told my siblings. Luckily it went far better than I imagined.
    I'm not out to my wider circle of friends, but I suspect all except one of them will be OK about it. The one that will not be cool is a total twat anyway :bang: and I'd be better off without him as a friend.
    Remember if one of your friends rejects you because you are gay they were never your friends in the first place.
    By the way it's natural to be scared.
    :goodluck:

4. MN Writer

I'm still a bit new to this coming out process, but I've found that if you are confident about yourself and how you feel, people usually just go with it. Maybe there are some idiots out there who still have issues with it but if that's the case then you don't need them in your life.

you didn't really specify how you were wanting to come out, but what's wrong with just being open about it when people ask you? are you wanting to make a public statement of some kind (like on social media)? I came out on facebook to all of my friends despite an enormous amount of fear, and had 99% positive and accepting reactions, so I suspect you would too.

whatever you decide, just know you are loved and no matter what anyone might say, you are beautiful and amazing just the way you are. =)

5. StephenB

StephenB Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most people are actually ok with it. The world we live in, it's not that rare, it's not that big of a deal. There are some close minded people out there, but in general, I'm thinking most people should be ok.

I've been out for 10 years, and I haven't had a bad reaction since I first came out. I worked at a campground with 40+ employees, half were over 50. In the process of coming out, I had 2 that took it badly. One later apologized. That's pretty much it. I'm sure there have been others that have not cared for it, or have thought it was a choice, or any number of other opinions, but, honestly, if that's the case they've been pretty quiet about it. I've had a lot of friends that have had tons of questions, but they were never hurtful.

That being said, there are negative people out there. But in general I would think you'll get a good response :slight_smile:

6. iiimee

Wrong thread! Lol

7. ellz

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Coming out is scary. I'm thinking about doing it, but I feel like I need to clarify what I am before I do, so I can explain myself. I'm being to realize this is silly, there is no explanation needed. Also, when you say you not out, but people who ask get a true answer... do you need to publicly announce that you are gay to make it more valid? It's not like straight people need to do this. At the same time, if you feel like you should, swallow the nerves and take the leap. If you really want to display yourself to the world, nothing should stop you. As cliche as it sounds: You are beautiful the way you are. :slight_smile: