1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My uncle

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by keypooh90, Nov 4, 2014.

1. keypooh90

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So I came out to my uncle yesterday and it went so horribly. He told me me wished I had come out to him first so that he could talk it out of me and then he told me I'm destined for hell and I can already tell that our dynamic has changed and I'm so heartbroken.

2. StephenB

StephenB Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, I am so sorry it went this badly!! Secondly, take a breath. I assume you've told other friends and family? If so, it sounds like it went better with them?

It's big news to some people. Especially family. A lot of times people react strongly upfront, only to soften their views later.

I truly hope he comes around, and I hope you have a support system of other friends and family that can help you during this rough period.

You are in my thoughts, and if you need to talk don't hesitate to post on my wall :slight_smile:

Best wishes!

3. iiimee

God, that's horrible! I want to say I'd punch him, but I wouldn't do that even I knew him because you care about him. :frowning2: Be patient with him. He sounds like somebody stuck in his belief, but you never know. He may or may not come around. In any case, remember that what he said is WRONG and that you are a unique individual, who doesn't need to take that slander. Love him, but don't take that insult sitting down. Nobody on this site is destined for Hell because their love is different from what society tells us is right.

4. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry to hear that, truly. I'd say distance yourself from him. If he is willing to accept you for who you are, then that in itself is a commendable feat. Otherwise don't waste anymore time on him. If he treats you differently now, before you came out to him I mean... that there, speaks louder than words.

Much love,H

5. Blossom85

I am so sorry to hear it didn't go so well, it always saddens me when any family rejects who their family are because of their sexuality. It would be very hard for you if you were close, I myself know I would accept my niece 100% if she ever came out to me. It is sad but I think distancing yourself might be best if he is going behave differently around you now. ~big hugs~

6. keypooh90

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    To those suggesting I distance myself from him, that's nearly impossible as I live with my aunt and uncle after having lost both parents (one fairly recently). He's not speaking to me and our whole dynamic has changed. I can feel the change. It hurts so much and I kind of wish I hadn't come out to him. The rest of my friend and family (minus two people) reacted in a very caring, accepting, loving and supportive way.