1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Need Help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by The Dark Lord, Nov 5, 2014.

1. The Dark Lord

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello, I'm new here. I have been waiting for the "right time" to come out to my parents, but before I reached that step, my sister started struggling with suicidal thoughts and self harm. This has caused a lot of conflict and stress in our house so I think any attempt to come out would be seen as seeking attention and receive a much more negative reaction than if I wait. I'm tired of hiding so my stress and anxiety have been worse than normal lately. Does anyone have any advice for how to stay calm until I can come out?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, and welcome to Empty Closets.

I am sorry to hear that your sister is struggling with suicidal thoughts and self-harm. Even though you want to come out, and feel it is not the right time anymore and might feel disappointment, try to support your sister as much as you can in this moment.

I think you are making the right decision to wait a bit. There is never the 'right moment' to come out, but there are better and worse moments.

It looks like that you have come out to one person that you trust. Are there others in your life that you trust and feel would be accepting to whom you could come out to in the meantime? Coming out to others and building your support network while you wait could help you to feel you are making progress in coming out as well as help you to stay calm until you can speak with your parents.

Are there any LGBT youth support groups you could join?